Damned Bullet

My ticket is paid for and my bag is on its way to flight 236 to Ronald Reagan Washington national airport. I go over to security, ready to head towards the duty free shops for some toiletries, and drop my stuff in the basket. I pull out my phone and open it, looking at the picture of Aaron and I set as my background. He's smiling widely, something that almost never happens, and he's holding me on his shoulders. I feel tears well up and someone behind me tells me it's my turn. "Oh, sorry.." I say, putting my phone in the basket with the rest of my stuff. I walk through the metal detector and it goes off, beeping loudly. "Ma'am. I'm going to need you to step away for a pat down." I nod silently, following the man into another room off to the side. "My name is Agent Collins, I'll just be questioning you real quick until we can get a female in here to pat you down." He says, and I nod silently again. "Do you have a history of violence?" He asks, and I tense up. I look up at him and my eyes widen. I trace my eyes along his rounded features, marveling at his handsomeness. I look into his eyes, so blue they're almost luminous. He stares right back, doing the same as me. "Ma'am." He says. I snap out of my trance and clear my throat. "Could you define that?" I ask, and he sits up straighter, one hand leaving the desk. "Violence that may or may not have led to the severe injury or death of another person" he says. "Um.. does the military count for that?" I ask, and he shakes his head. "My apologies. Can I ask your current rank and position?" I shake my head. "I was medically discharged. I'm a civilian now" I say, and he nods. "Do you have any idea why the metal detector may have gone off?" He asks, and I nod. "I have a bullet in my hip, hence the medical discharge" I say, and he nods. His phone rings and he picks it up, listening to the voice on the other side. I see him tense and glance at me, then mumble an agreement and hang up. "Apologies ma'am. We don't have any female agents in today, and we cannot call one in, so I will have to call a male in to pat you down, are you comfortable with that, or would like me to do it?" I tense and nod. "Me?" He asks, and I nod again. "Alright ma'am. I'll need you to stand up and spread your legs shoulder length apart" he says, and I do so, placing my hands on the table that was once between us. "I will begin the pat down now, I will use the backs of my hands for the sensitive areas I will need to touch. I must confirm that you consent to this" I look away, turning slightly red. "I-I'm fine with it" I stutter. He places his hands between my shoulder blades and I tense up at the gentle touch. "Where are you headed?" He asks, and I look away again. "V-Virginia. Arlington" I say, and he looks up at me. "Anything important there?" I feel my eyes tearing up again. "My.. uh... my friend's funeral..." I mumble, and he looks up at me again. "I-I'm his only living contact, so... They want me to accept the flag. He was a soldier too" I say. Agent Collins stands up. "Sensitive area coming up" he says quietly. I nod and he slowly drags his hands up my sides and across my torso, just under my breasts. "You two were close then?" He asks, and I let out a small squeak, trying to hold back. He looks down at me and sees a tear slip down my cheek and stops patting me down. "Hey.." He says softly. I look down again and stifle a sob, my body shaking slightly. "Here now. Come on.." He pulls me against him, pressing my head into his chest. I tightly wrap my arms around his waist and cry into his shirt, his hand slowly rubbing my back. "It's alright" he says, pressing his face into the top of my hair. "This completes your security pat down." He backs away from me and opens the door. "Clear!" He shouts, and hands me a piece of paper. I open it as I leave the room and smile. 'Call me if you need anything' followed by his phone number.