Chapter 82: The Truth of Kings

Start from the beginning

That had been real.

He remembered when Kahmunrah had taken to bed his first lover, a man, Ahkmenrah was the first person he'd told.

That had been real.

Over and over the again the image of his brother, murderous vengeance in his eyes plagued him.

Yes, that too had been real.

"Ahkmenrah, lad, what ails you?"

"Montu!" Ahkmenrah stood up trying to wipe away the tears.

"Your brother isn't it?"

"How did you..."

"You think I haven't been spying on him for you?" Said Montu. "As I said I will not let Egypt lose another good king."

"How did you know he would?"

"He has been seduced by Khufu's words." Said Montu. "I overheard them. Your brother was a reluctant conspirator at first, but power blinds us all."

"You gave me the sword because you knew that he would try to kill me?"

"Precisely."

"Why would he believe that old snake!" Cried Ahkmenrah. "He always said that Khufu was conspiring against the family why would he join him now?"

"Because of this,"

Montu produced a scroll out of his pouch and handed it to the young king.

"I got curious as to why your father would choose you as King instead of your brother, who was a more obvious fit for the role. I thought he had lost his mind. So I searched his study and I found this."

There were two scrolls, both proclaimed the heir to the throne. Down the bottom of one, in Merenkahre's hand, both his and Kahmunrah's name was written in a single cartouche. The other written in Khufu's hand, there was only his own. It all dawned on him.

"Father meant for us both to be king." He breathed. "But Khufu changed it."

"Yes, he did." Said Montu. "He saw you both, for what you were. Chaos and grace, in balance. You were both together the embodiment of ma'at. One can not rule without the other."

"I still don't understand how Kahmunrah could be seduced by words." Said Ahkmenrah. "He was always, stronger than that."

"Sit down Ahk, its time I told you the story of your fore-fathers. Their true-story."

—————————

Sneferu had succeeded the throne after Huni died, being the closest male relative. He had started the dynasty of the Fourth Kings, his reign was prosperous. He and his beloved wife Hetephres, among their many children, had two sons, Khufu and Kanefer.

Khufu and Kanefer were very close and the best of friends. Khufu was the older and destined to rule over the kingdom, yet it always seemed to Khufu that Sneferu loved Kanefer more.

As the years passed the love Sneferu harboured for Kanefer grew more prominent but as did Khufu's ambition. Khufu in any way he could try to excel and grow under his father's eye, but if only his father's eyes were upon him. They were fixed firmly on Kanefer.

On his deathbed instead of bestowing the crown upon Khufu, he had held Kanefer's hand and whispered.

"May my land prosper under you."

On the day of his death, Kanefer was pronounced King of Egypt. This didn't sit well with Khufu.

He had let go of these feelings soon enough. Even though he wasn't King he still had a duty to his people.