Chapter Four

"Okay, class, the first thing I want you to realize is there are many myths that shape the creativity in Literature, not just one. Without these myths, works would not exist. These myths are what spark interest and inspiration, as well as study and religion. It’s what sparks the nature of creativity in many people. The main myths we'll be learning this week are the Greek gods, the Roman creatures believed to exist, and today, we’ll study the most influential of all: the stories of the angels who've fallen from grace." As Mr. Graven spoke, Kali’s mind began to wander out of the classroom.

She began thinking of the mess that was waiting for her at home, which led her to think about her father and stepmother. Hushed whispers began around her as other students lost interest in the lesson, as well. Unbeknownst to her, the male that had sat next to her was staring at her, watching her is confusion and amusement. She continued to stare at the white board, not paying attention to her lesson, with her head being held up by her hand, her elbow pressed against the tabletop.

As she thought, her mind drifted to fantasy happenings. If only there was a family out there who’d find my existence and claim me as their own, taking me forever away from here. She sighed, a mix of happiness and bitter longing. Her thought continued on into this fantasy world

“Though there is no exact mentioning clearly stating the details of the fallen, with just only a brief mention both in the Bible and the Book of Enoch, stories and myths are still being crafted to this day of this spectacle.” Mr. Graven’s voice was a slight buzz in the background as Kali continued to daydream. Her attention was buried in her daydream of having a more loving family.

“Good morning, dear!” a soft-faced, bright eyed, pleasantly plump woman announced cheerily. “It’s time to get up now and get ready for school. Come on now, chop chop! I have oatmeal on the table for you. It’s not too soft, just the way you like it!”

“Oh thank you, mother! I’ll be headed down shortly!” dream-Kali announced, her voice airy and bell-like, not laden with torment and low from misuse. “Is father home?” she asked, her tone not wavering in fear at the word ‘father.’

“Yes he is, honey. Now, get dressed and come on upstairs and out of this massive room of yours. I’m sure he’d love to see you before work!”

Kali quickly got dressed in a form fitting band t-shirt and black jeans before sliding on her converse and braiding her hair over her shoulder. She grabbed her all natural Chap Stick and slid some deodorant under her arms and headed downstairs. A man, her dream-father, sat at the table with a folded newspaper beside him. Small, square framed reading glasses sat on his nose and his black curls were in disarray.

“Now I see where my hair comes from!” Kali joked. Her father looked up at her with icy blue eyes, nearly the same shade as her own. Her mother’s green eyes stared at them in amusement.

“There’s my little girl! Tell me, what do you think about goi-“

Kali felt a jolt, and she was forcibly ripped from her daydream of a loving family. She turned to the person next to her, and he softly nodded his head in the teacher’s direction. Mr. Graven had begun to look at Kali suspiciously, noticing her unnatural behavior. Once he was content that he’d grabbed her attention, he continued with his lecture.