Ash could see a loneliness deep in his eyes. "Sounds like your father ain't around much."

His solemn face told him everything.

"He works late with the Beta and the time he gets free he spends it with my mom. I don't blame him but I'd like to have something to do on my own."

"I understand."

Ash had grown up the same way with his own parents. They worked hard and tried to make time for him, but most of the time they were absent. It was his grandfather that got him into ranching and he had fallen in love with it.

"First thing you need to know is that this is no game or anything like takin' a stroll with a horse. From what I've seen of this animal is that it's wild and very frightened. Two very dangerous combinations."

Chase looked up at him and gave a nod, understanding the very serious risks he was facing.

"I want you to let a few men go before you. It will be easier if the horse is a bit tired but not to the point where he would be too desperate for escape. This will also give you a chance to see what will happen before you go. You need to move with his movements, don't panic and steel yourself, you will lose your focus and balance. It will be easier if you lean back along its body keeping a hold but let go if you feel unbalanced, no use getting your hand caught and injuring yourself. It'll be intense and a lot tougher then anything you've done before. Watch the men that go first before deciding if you really are going to try it."

Ash studied the boy as he told him a few more things. He looked a bit shaken but determined to try anyways. Chase took his place in line with the rest of the competitors as Ash made his way back to the bleachers. He scanned the area, trying to locate Kiera or even April and Michael but he didn't see them. The event would start soon and he couldn't find them anywhere. He was contemplating on walking around to see if he could spot them or just returning to the back with Chase.

"Are you looking for someone?"

Ash turned to see the all too sweet smile of Karla. She had her hand draped in Axel's arm and they were both smiling as they approached.

"I was looking for Kiera and April."

"I can't say I've seen them. Will you be entering the competition?" Karla asked.

"No, I think I'll just be enjoying the show this time."

"Oh, what a pity." Karla said. "It would certainly have been a treat if you had entered as well. Alex has entered and it would have been a great show if you did too." She smiled sweetly.

They started making their way back to where all the participants were waiting.

"Are you sure about not joining in on the fun?" Axel asked.

"I'm sure, besides it'll give everyone else a chance to win without me there to intimidate them."

"Well in that case, you wouldn't mind walking me back to the other side, would you?" Karla asked.

"Of course not. If you'll just give me a few moments." Ash replied.

Karla waited for him on the side while he and Axel went on towards the rest of the riders.

"Are you really up to riding a wild horse?" Ash asked sceptically.

"Honestly, no. Karla has been asking, no scratch that, telling me to enter. Maybe I should have assigned someone else to this job."

Ash laughed at Axel's discomfort. "I'm glad I ain't you."

"You have no idea of what that girl is capable of. She's been trying to get me to find out about you, seems she wants to find some dirt on you." Axel said shaking his head as he glanced over at him.