Twelve || Like We Ain't Ever

I want to thank Sylika4304 for making me that cover on the side ❤️ Thank you so much! :) This chapter is dedicated to her. I've got some of the best fans in the world lol I hope that you all love this chapter, I am so sorry that it took such a long time to update. 

I hope that you all enjoy the chapter. 

Remembner, vote and comment, I love reading all of the comments you all have about the story :) They help me write another chapter quicker and make them better. ❤️❤️

     » LIKE WE AIN'T EVER |

I was honestly worried about what my older brother was going to think about Luke. Even though his opinion didn't matter to me most of the time, I still wanted him to like Luke. I don't know what I would do if he didn't.

While Jake called Luke, Amber excused Niki and I into the kitchen. She said we were going to cook something, but really she wanted to talk to us without any of the boys hearing. "Brook, I know that C.J will love him!" Amber reassured me, grabbing my shoulders excitedly.

"Yeah, Luke's a really nice guy," Niki agreed. " C.J will probably just threaten him a bit, you know, let him know what's gonna happen if he breaks her heart, but other than that I'm sure they'll be good." Niki smiled. 

"You shouldn't worry about it Brook," Amber said, giving me a warm smile.

I sighed and walked over to the fridge, grabbing a beer. Despite Niki and Amber's reassurance, I still felt nervous. C.J didn't exactly have high standards, but he doesn't just accept anything. Or anyone.

"We should probably make the guys something to eat," Amber clasped her small hands together. "I think I can hear C.J's stomach growling now!" She joked.

Niki and I both laughed. I can see why C.J loved her, she was funny, beautiful, kind—basically everything any guy could ask for. I wonder if I seem like that to Luke. I opened my beer and hopped up on the counter as Amber helped Niki make some food for the guys.

When I heard the gravel in the driveway crunch under the wheels of Luke's truck, we all shared excited glances. Quickly and quietly, we scurried into the living room, crouching below the window so we wouldn't be seen. I watched with wide eyes as Luke exited his truck and immediately approached my brother. They shared a firm handshake and engaged in small talk. C.J's face remained neutral, it was hard to tell if he seemed to like Luke or not.

"What do you think they're talking about?" I asked.

"Who knows," Amber shrugged. "It looks like they're saying 'boat' a lot.." Niki and I both turned our heads to look at her. She glanced at us and raised an eyebrow. "What?"

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. I squinted at the lips of my brother and Luke, trying to decipher their movements. After a while, I let out a frustrated sigh. I wish that I knew how to read lips. When I was younger, I would practice reading lips so I would know what people were talking about, but it was a skill that began to fade with time. 

I pouted. I hate not knowing what's happening. 

"Why can't they have subtitles?" I suddenly exclaimed out loud.

Niki and Amber burst into a fit of laughter, catching the attention of Jake. We shrieked and quickly ducked, hoping that he didn't see us.

"Do you think that he saw us?" I whispered.

Amber shrugged and slowly raised her head. Then she ducked down again, giggling as she nodded.

"We should probably get back to the kitchen," Niki suggested. "So it won't be too obvious that we were spying on them."

Amber and I both looked over to the kitchen, knowing that we were going to have to crawl. I bit back a laugh as we crawled, struggling not to spill my beer.

"Ow, cramp!" Niki cried, collapsing on the ground. She curled into a ball and clutched her thigh.

"Niki, are you okay?" I asked. 

"Yeah," she answered breathlessly. "Just go on without me!" She whispered, rather dramatically.

Amber and I were about to move along, until we heard the front door open. Amber and I stopped dead in our tracks as all the men entered the room. We knew this didn't look good; Niki writhing on the ground and Amber and I seemingly escaping from the crime scene. I had to think of something quick. "I...I found it!" I announced, standing up. I held up an invisible small object pinched between my thumb and index finger. "I lost my earring." I said, pretending to put an earring on.

Amber stood up, her cheeks red from containing her laughter. I looked down at Niki, who was still on the ground holding her thigh. 

"I've got a cramp." She stated bluntly when all three guys stared down at her.

Jake snickered and held out his hand. Niki took it and he pulled her up.

"We should...probably get back to making the food then." Amber said. She grabbed Niki's arm, pulling her toward the kitchen. "Jake, C.J, would the both of you like to help me in the kitchen?" Amber asked sweetly.

"No, we're good," Jake answered.

Amber frowned and placed her fists on her hips. "Jake, C.J, kitchen. Now." She ordered firmly.

I tried to contain my laugh as the both of them hurriedly made their way into the kitchen with Niki and Amber. I smiled at Luke wondering what I should say. 

"You're not wearing any earrings," Luke pointed out. I looked up at him and then touched my ear with my free hand. "You said you lost your earring, but you aren't even wearing any." 

I dropped my hand and sighed. "That's because when you saw us on the ground we weren't looking for my earring," I admitted. "We were actually spying on you." I smiled and shrugged. There was no use in lying, I didn't want to lie to him anyway.

"I kind of figured," Luke chuckled, crossing his arms. "Jake told us that you and the girls were peeking out the window."

I frowned and cursed at Jake in my mind. Sometimes that boy just never knew when to keep things to himself. I walked over to the couch with my beer still in my hand and sat down. Luke followed and did the same.

"Did C.J threaten you?" I asked him. 

"No, he was actually nice," he shrugged. Then he tilted his head. "Does he normally threaten people?"

I laughed and shook my head. "No, I was just thinking that he would since you and I are dating now." I shrugged, taking a sip of my beer as I leaned on his shoulder.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer, if that were even possible. "You know, I was thinking about taking you somewhere special tonight." He said kissing the top of my head.

I giggled and then looked up at him. "Can you give me a hint of where this special place is?" I asked smiling. 

Luke rubbed his chin. "Hmm," he hummed. "If I do, I think I might just give it away," he chuckled. "You should just trust me, I think that you'll love it!"

I smiled and cuddled up close to him. For once, I was actually okay with not knowing what was going on. When it comes to Luke I'd be okay with anything, to be honest. 

"Are you guys kissing because we can't hear you!" Jake says. 

"Jake!" They all shout simultaneously.

"What, it was C.J's idea to listen in on them!" Jake whined.

"Don't even bring me in this!" C.J said.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. I knew it was too quiet in that kitchen for them to be cooking.