Chapter 3

As soon as the door was closed I collapsed onto the bed with a groan. I felt the bed creak as she perched herself at the end of it. "Kaz? Will you let me help you with your injuries." Inej said gently. I visibly stiffened. I knew that would mean that she would have to touch my skin. A wave of nausea swept over me. I could feel the water start to rise up around me. Cold and dangerous. "Kaz. Kaz. Kaz look at me. KAZ!" Inej yelled and I snapped my head up and met her eyes. She was so much closer then before. She was starting to blur.

"Kaz." She just kept murmuring my name. Over and over and over. I clung onto her voice and I could slowly feel the nausea fade and the water recede until I was just Kaz Brecker again. Not dirtyhands. Not a criminal prodigy. I was just a hurting 17 year old boy. I started to shake slightly, sometimes it was an after effect of the hallucination. She saved me, time after time she saves me and I don't think I have ever shown her how much that truly means to me. I was so disappointed at myself. I took off my gloves with skating hands and reached up then gently brushed my knuckles along her cheekbone. She ever so lightly leaned into my caress; her eyes fluttering closed. I didn't feel the panic that I normally did so I decided to keep going. I drifted my hand upwards and stroked her inky black hair. In response she opened her eyes again and she tentatively reached up her own hand and then ran her fingers through my hair. She was questioning with her fingers, just the tips of her fingers to begin with. When I didn't pull away I guess she must have taken it as a sign as she began to run her whole fingers through.

I sighed in amazement when i looked into her eyes. We stared at each other for what felt like centuries. Seeing everything that we tried to keep hidden from everyone. Tentatively I lent toward her, fearing rejection but to my slight surprise and relief she lent forwards as well. Saints her lips were so soft. I inhaled her scent of juniper and smoke making myself dizzy. Finally.