Take Off

After Rye's confession to us we had no time to waste before setting off on our "new adventure", as Rye referred to it. She was trying to make light of the situation and stay positive so we wouldn't be scared, but we were terrified. There was nothing appealing about this new destroyed world we were supposed to step into where people would want to kill me and my sister just because we weren't crazy like them. But we ignored the sick feelings in our stomachs as we each packed a backpack, selecting only a few clothing items out of all the ones Rye had made us over the years and leaving behind the blankets we had never had before. 

         As we worked quietly in the kitched filling our packs, Jillian couldn't help addressing the elephant in the room, so hesitantly she asked "where are we even going?"

Rye looked up from her food preparation and hesitated a little before she replied, "we are going to meet some friends in San Diego who are just like you guys, and you're going to help them save the world" in a tone that made me feel like a child. "And I actually need your help reading this map", she added little embarrassed. Jillian was excited to be of help so she happily pointed out the spot and she and Rye worked out the route we would take; walk to a bus stop where a bus would take us to Laguna Beach and then from there we would make the trek to San Diego.

        I was happy that Jillian wasn't scared anymore, but I still had questions. So I tried to be casual as I asked, "who are the friends we're meeting there?"

         She looked a little uneasy as she said, "I have some contacts and when I go to the market I talk to other folks there. There is a group in San Diego where you guys will be protected and where you guys will help ensure the future generations will be too". This sounded like everything I wasn't ready for, but I knew Rye knew what was best for us, so I trusted that as long as I had this family, nothing could be that bad. 

           The next morning we set out. It took us almost the whole day walking like a row of ducks along the barren road to get to the bus stop, tucking into abandoned buildings when we saw people in the distance and stopping once when Jillian got scratched trying to pet a feral cat. After about ten minutes of waiting for the bus four people had joined us. We had already been coached to not speak or read anything when we had to be around strangers, but it was hard not to stare. Other than the vague memories of our parents, we had never interacted with sick people, and they looked like zombies as they mumbled and grumbled and stared off into space while we waited for the bus.