Chapter 2: Water

Wolfie waits patiently at the water near Route 103. Caleb runs towards him, panting. "Hey... you didn't... wait for me... I have... smaller... legs..." He then collapsed backward to the ground. Wolfie goes up to Caleb's face and licks it.

"Heh..." Caleb smiled, still exhausted. "I don't know if we can have fun right now... I have very little energy..."

"Awwh..." Wolfie frowned, licking Caleb's face again. "It is getting kinda late, anyway..."

"Well, don't we need to go to the Pokémon Center to rest for the night?" Caleb asked.

"Nah, man. Now that you're a Pokémon, you sleep out in the wild." Wolfie replied.

"The wild? I don't wanna sleep out in the wild! Can't we just explain what happened to Nurse Joy?" Caleb questioned.

"Dude. You speak Pokémon now. No one can understand you. Besides, it's nice to sleep under the stars." Wolfie replied.

Caleb sighed. "If you say so..." He remained laid down in the grass.

Wolfie curls up into a sleeping position. "Night, Caleb."

"Night Wolfie..." Caleb replied.

Several hours later, Caleb was still awake. Despite how tired he was, he couldn't sleep at all. The ground just didn't feel comfortable. He looked over at Wolfie, who had fallen asleep a couple of hours ago. He then looks back at the stars. Eventually, he got bored of being unable to sleep. He stood up and looked around the route. Zigzagoon and Wurmple were sleeping peacefully all around.

Caleb then looked over at the water that Wolfie had waited eagerly to play in with Caleb. He slowly walks over to it, remembering that it was also a route. Route 110, if he remembered correctly. I wonder if I could swim across this... I was transformed with a pool floaty, so if anything, I'm possibly a water type, he thought.

He slowly walks into the water, finding it surprisingly not cold at all. It felt... relaxing. He walked further in, the water slowly crawling up his body as he walked deeper and deeper into the water, making Caleb feel more and more relaxed. When the water got to his neck, he felt his feet leave the ground as he floated in the water. Caleb slowly closed his eyes, feeling so relaxed at the moment that he didn't wanna leave the water. For a moment, he almost forgot he was a Pokémon. Before he knew it, he fell asleep in the water.

********************************************

Wolfie woke up to the morning sun. He smiled, looking over to where Caleb was originally when Wolfie fell asleep. "Good morning, Caleb, how'd yo-" He then realized that Caleb was not in the spot where he was originally. "Caleb?" He looked around, attempting to find Caleb.

When he looked out to the water, he saw Caleb floating on top of the water, sound asleep, still
as a Buizel. Wolfie lightly smiled, looking around for some berries to eat.

A half-hour later, Caleb wakes up, still feeling relaxed. He looked off to where Wolfie was originally, not seeing him. Confused, he swam back to shore. It somehow came easily to him, but Caleb didn't question it. As he reached the shore, the feeling of relaxation slowly faded.

When Caleb left the water, he looked at himself, not feeling as relaxed when he saw he was still a Buizel. He didn't panic, but he wasn't too happy. He sat down in the grass, waiting for Wolfie to come back, knowing he probably ran off somewhere.

After a few minutes, Wolfie came back with a berry in his mouth and a few more on his back. Unable to speak with the berry in his mouth, he dumped the berries on his back onto the ground. He then swallowed his berry. "Hey, Caleb, how'd you sleep?"

"Hm?" Caleb looked over at Wolfie. "Hey, Wolfie. I slept okay, how about you?"

"I slept pretty well. I brought some breakfast while you were asleep." Wolfie replied.

"Er, breakfast? You mean the berries?" Caleb asked.

Wolfie replied, "Yup!"

"Why not pancakes or cereal or PopTarts?" Caleb asked.

"Caleb," Wolfie stated, "Pokémon don't eat pancakes or cereal or PopTarts. They eat berries."

"But I tasted a Sitrus Berry once, and I didn't like it..." Caleb said.

"Try another one. It might be different now that you're a Pokémon," suggested Wolfie.

Caleb trusted Wolfie's judgment, reluctantly picking up a Sitrus Berry from the small pile of berries Wolfie brought. He brought it closer to his mouth, glancing over at Wolfie, reassured by his smile. He then opened his mouth and took a big bite from the berry.