Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"So...um Annie, not to be rude or anything, but why exactly did you call me?" Josh asked, as we walked down the semi-crowded sidewalk.

"Well we're friends aren't we? Friends hang out with each other." I laughed.

"Yeah, but..." He started. I couldn't help but giggle at his confused expression. It's true, Josh and I don't hang out, so I don't blame him for being confused. To be honest, he probably thinks I'm weird for inviting him to hang out, especially after I broke up with Ethan.

"What're you laughing at?" He laughed, giving me a funny look.

"Nothinggg." I replied, dragging it out. He looked a little worried as we entered a deli.

We ordered our sandwiches and found a booth beside the front window. I quickly checked my watch making sure we were on time, then unwrapped my plain turkey and cheese sandwich.

"Can I ask you something?" Josh asked, looking nervous.

"Yeah sure, ask away." I replied before taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Do you have a crush on me?" He asked, quietly.

My eyes widened and I almost choked, "Oh gosh no. I mean no offense, but I just broke up with Ethan." I died laughing, holding my stomach.

"Sorry, I was just making sure!" He laughed along with me.

"Yeah, yeah whatever."

"Hey, I wouldn't blame you if you did though. I mean who can resist this?" He said pointing to himself, and smirking quite confidently. I rolled my eyes and took another bite of my sandwich.

As if on que, Lexi walked through the entrance of the deli. "Hey look there's Lex!" I said, pointing in her direction. "What? Where?" Josh asked, his expression brightening, as he turned around to face her direction.

"Lexi!" He shouted across the restaurant, earning a few unhappy looks from the other customers. She smiled when she caught sight of us, making eye contact with me. I gave her a subtle thumbs up as she walked over to our table.

"Hey guys." She said, excitedly.

"Hey Lex! What're you doing here?" Josh smiled as he moves over, making room for her beside him. She sat down, blushing slightly, "I'm here to eat lunch."

"Really?" He seemed a little surprised. "Yup," she nodded. "What're you gonna get? I'll go order it for you, if you want." He offered, eagerly. "Oh, you don't have to, I can do it!" She replied, nervously. "No, no, I can do it!" He grinned, obviously happy to see her here.

Well this might be easier than I thought.

"And you said he'd never like you." I teased, kicking Lexi's leg underneath the table, after Josh left. "He doesn't!" She whispered, afraid that he might hear. "You liar, of course he does!" I whispered back. Her cheeks turned a deep shade of red and she grinned like an idiot.

I stood up as Josh came back with Lexi's food. "Where're you going?" He asked, confused. "Sorry, I have to meet my dad somewhere! I'll see you guys later!" I said quickly, as I rushed for the door. They both waved goodbye and I sent Lex a knowing smile.

-

-

-

-

Since meeting my dad was totally a lie, I decided to do some shopping before I headed home. I didn't have to be home at any particular time, because Dad and Aly wouldn't be home until late.

First I stopped by American Apparel and bought a cute new shirt, then I looked around American Eagle, but didn't buy anything. Next I went by Rue 21, and looked around for a little while, until I realized that I should probably get home before it started getting late.

-

-

-

-

When I got home, I found a handwritten note from Aly instructing me to put the pre-made spaghetti into the oven for dinner. I followed her directions and set the oven on 350, then headed upstairs to take a shower.

I took a quick shower, which is unusual for me, then put on a pink sports bra, an oversized shirt, underwear, and some Nike shorts. I looked like I'm not wearing any pants, because of the length of the t-shirt.

Grabbing my phone, I went back downstairs, the scent of the baking spaghetti greeting me. I opened the oven and backed away to avoid the heat waves. The spaghetti looked done, so I pulled it out and set it on top of the stove. After a few minutes of waiting for it to cool, I dished myself out some into a bowl.

I hate how quiet it is when I'm home alone, so I used Dad's laptop and speakers to play Pandora. "Beating Heart" by Ellie Goulding was the first song to blare through the speakers.

Before I could even take a bite of my spaghetti, there was a knock on the door. I frowned, checking the time on my phone, it's 8:00pm. I debated whether or not to go to the door, since it's already dark outside.

There was another knock, and I decided to see who it was in case Dad or Aly forgot their key.

I opened the door expecting to see one of them, but instead I was met with another familiar face. I stepped back in shock, a gasp escaping me.

-

-

-

-

Sorry for such a long wait, and sorry for how short it is! I need to get better at this, lol.

Who do y'all think is at the door?? Someone please comment? ily

-M