Part 11

I woke up to a blaring siren. I jumped up and turned off the alarm coming from my phone. Melody whimpered, then went back to sleep. Melody. And Asher. Where was Asher? Should I tell him now? Or just let her sleep then tell him later? Should I tell his parents? I decided to just let her sleep and get ready. Because she needed sleep. And maybe I didn't want to see anyone right now, but mostly the first....... Okay, no more lying. She was just going to be my excuse. 

I moved to my bookbag and grabbed out the clothes I had packed for today. I quickly changed and put my hair in a braid. Slipping my shoes on, I look up and see Melody trying to get off my bed. I go over and pick up the little girl. 

"Now, you wanna go see your brother?" I ask. The baby looked confused. Did she not know Asher was her brother? What did she call him?

"Ashy? Bubba? Budder? BB?" I say, naming nicknames I heard some people call their brothers when they were younger. She still just looked confused, like she didn't know who I was talking about. 

"Okay, it's all cool," I say, reaching for my bag of school work, "Maybe you don't have a nickname for him." I shrug and she giggles. 

"I won't be here tomorrow, you know that, right M?" I say, trying a new nickname for her. 

"Anjceh." She says, hugging me. I walk down the stairs with her in my arms. 

"Ahhh, Alice! Good morning!" Says Mr. Beaver who is on the couch reading a newspaper. 

"Alice, dear, are you hungry?" Asks Mrs. Beaver, turned around at the counter. None of them seemed to notice Melody was with me. Fine by me. She was poking me in the cheeks and giggling. 

"Oh, no thank you, Mrs. Beavers," I say, just as Asher comes running down the stairs. 

"Mom, Dad, where's Melody?" He seems almost in a panic. 

"I put her in her crib last night before I went to bed." He explains. 

"Umm...." I start when Melody cuts me off. 

"Dada!" She struggles to get out of my arms. I set her down and she waddles to Asher. He has his arms open and he swoops her up. 

"Baby, you have to stay in your crib....." he says, swaying with her. 

"Y-your her dad?" And then Asher remembers I was here and turns to face me.