Chapter Five

Nico Di Angelo- demigod.

He leaned on the railing. His head was pounding. He wanted to cry. He wanted to sob, and just let go of everything. He wanted to leave. He felt trapped. He was afraid again.

His dark eyes peered down on the empty streets of Survivor City. Why was no one up? Why wasn't there more people, kids, adults, here? Why wasn't there any laughter, smiling faces, something to hide the fact that they were only shadows of once powerful, heroic races?

Why couldn't they just pretend like they weren't broken beyond repair?

He shook. Because they weren't him. Because they weren't void of emotions, they weren't use to the pain, they weren't lying to themselves.

He clutched his fists. They needed someone to lift their spirits. Someone to lead them. That's how they managed to find this place. To trust each other. Percy was that leader. Percy had stayed strong for them. But Percy was gone now.

No, not again. He started to shake. His heart pounded in his chest. Blood roared in his ears. His vision blurred. His back erupted with pain.

Flashes of the attack ran through his head. He couldn't breath. Tears fell blindingly down his face. He toppled to the ground. Oh Gods, no! Please!

He walked through New Rome, wearing his jacket of shadows. He ignored the sounds of peacefully happy couples laughing and talking at the tables outside the cafè. He saw Rachel and, surprisingly Octavian, sharing a plate of fries, Frank and Hazel laughing and holding hands, and then he saw Reyna. All alone. He stopped walking, feeling something he never really felt before. Well before Percy. But Percy was with Annabeth, so....Why not?

He started over to her. What would he say? What if she didn't like him?  What if...

"Nico?" suddenly an Iris Message appeared in front of him. Percy and Annabeth stood together hand in hand, looking worried. "Nico do you have a minute? This is extremely important."

Nico looked past them at Reyna, her back to him. Surely it wasn't that important. Surely they could talk another time. It was probably just some stupid errand they needed him to run. He couldn't miss this opportunity.

That's what he wanted to believe.

"Sorry, guys, I'm busy..." Nico tired an apoplectic smile. Before they could protest he swiped his hand through the mist. And walked towards Reyna.

Maybe if he had stayed a little longer....Maybe if he listened...Maybe if he'd hadn't pushed them aside...

He sat in the empty chair across from Reyna. She barely looked up from the salad she was stabbing. A piece of her dark hair had fallen from her perfectly braided tail, and was settled over her eyes. She had been crying recently. She was trying not to show it. But he was a master at reading emotions.

"Can I help you, Di Angelo?" She asked her voice hard like stone.

Nico gave her one of his rare smiles. "You just did."

"Please go. I'm not in the mood." She let a slight waver in her voice out.

"What's wrong, Reyna?"

"Leave."

"Reyna."

"I said leave me alone!" Reyna shouted standing up and knocking back her chair, causing a couple of people to look over. She glared at them and then at him. Her stance was guarded, her voice and mind repelling him but her eyes gave her away. She was barely holding it together.