Chapter 10

As the summer solstice approached, preparations began throughout the castle for the annual ball. Once again, Harry just felt like he was in the way, since back home he would have had hosting and dignitary duties but here he may as well be one of the wall hangings. He retired to the library for longer and longer each day, until he started skipping meals. Officially, it was because he'd found a brilliant book series of swashbuckling adventures that he wanted to finish. Unofficially, it was because Louis and the boys were so busy that sometimes they didn't have time for lunch and he hated waiting to see if they would turn up. It reminded him that he had been useless for almost five months now.

Zayn found him glaring at a really funny joke in Swindling Sweeny's Tales of High Adventure.

"Harry," He chastised, tearing the book unceremoniously from his hands, "that glare will go terribly with your outfit. Come on, I need you for a fitting."

Harry followed Zayn down to his workshop and obediently tried on the gorgeous dress coat, button up waist coat, shirt, pants and brand new leather boots. They were perfect already, but Zayn fussed over him anyway.

"Zayn?" Harry asked, "mate, I really, really need something to do. Seriously, if there's anything you need- laundry- fucking anything..."

"I'd just be taking work away from my staff. Sorry love."

"'S fine," Harry nodded, shrugging off the coat and hanging it up carefully. It was the finest thing he'd ever seen.

"Thank you for this, by the way. It's spectacular."

"I know, I'm a genius."

"You really are."

"Actually, come to think of it, there is something you could do."

Harry beamed.

Feeling a bit ridiculous at how pleased he was to have this tiny assignment, Harry kept his expression kind of in check as he came in to Louis' study.

"Harry?" Louis smiled, "to what do I owe the honor?"

"Do you have five minutes?"

"Not really," Louis sighed, "I have to try and memorize who hates who this year. Then I have to figure out who's marrying whom, who's sleeping with whom, and who's trying to have whom killed. After that there's a very long list of who might secretly be related to whom. Nobility is a sticky business."

Harry giggled, and wanted to step on his own foot for punishment. Giggled? Seriously?

"Ahem, yeah, that was usually my job back home."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Want to help me study?"

"I..." Harry blinked in surprise, "Yeah. Yeah, I would, actually, but first can you come with me? I just need five minutes."

"Sure," Louis grinned, rising unsuspecting from his chair and following Harry happily down the corridor. They chattered away for a few minutes until Harry turned down the long corridor towards Zayn's workshop and his plan clicked in Louis' mind. As the king made to turn on his heel and flee Harry grabbed him by the waist and threw him easily over his shoulder.

"Not so fast!" He cried, hauling Louis off towards Zayn's.

"Treason!" Louis bellowed.

"You'll live," Harry laughed, slapping Louis' arse playfully in a way that was totally inappropriate but absolutely worth it for the outraged, surprised (pleased?) sound that Louis made.