Chapter 4

It wasn't long before Johanna found me.

"I knew you would do something like this brainless."She gloats.

I scowl at her,"Get back to your room."

She adamantly shakes her head,"Oh no.I want payback."

I give her a flat look,"Taking down the Capitol wasn't enough for you."

This time she glares,"Those idiots didn't stay down for long,did they?I just want to make sure they know whose boss now."

I huff,"And it's you?"

She rolls her eyes,"Well someone needs to grow the tits to do it.And it looks like we're the perfect set."She grins,"C'mon you have to admit.We do make a good team."

I open my mouth to tell her I only play teams with Peeta when Finnick appears from the darkness.He's wearing his trademark smile that seems to effect every girl that isn't me.Even my little sister.Shudder.

"Escaping are we?Excellent."

"No."I grit out."The two of you need to get back to your rooms right now."

"You can't take down the whole Capitol by yourself Katniss.For that huge task you need help.And better then me?"Finnick points out smugly.

"Us."Johanna hisses."I won't be left behind again.I want them to pay."Her eyes are murderous and she's already armed with her axes.

"I'm with Jo."Finnick hoists his trident up to our view."Apparently the first lesson didn't sink in.Time for round three."

"No."I growl."Johanna you have Dan it will literally shatter him to lose you and Finnick you not only have Annie but Junior.Neither of you can-"

They exchange a look and say one name in union.Unfortunitely it's that one name that halts me in my tracks."Peeta."

I glare blackly at the pair of them before I reconsider my options.Six hands will be better then two.Besides I know Finnick and Johanna can fight.I've fought along side both of them in my second Games.Groaning audibly I huff out,"One word and you're dead."

Neither of them seem fazed by my warning as they grin and trudge beside me.

Getting into the mansion was alarmingly easy.That set all three of us on edge.It didn't help that it was completely silent.No guards,no pods,no mutts.What are they planning?

We moved in a triangle.Always armed and on guard.So it was a pretty big shock when Kurtus came barreling towards us.

At first I thought I was hallucinating,then he caught sight of us and broke out in a run.His face grim and blood streaked,it looked like he'd been attacked.But how?

"Kurt-?"I was just forming his name when the wall next to us collapsed and a horrific sight came into view.

Prim,in the hands of Peacekeepers.All of them masked and armed.I didn't have time to process my sister's sudden appearence when Kurtus was charging at him.His eyes wild and a roar leaping from his lips.A handful of Peacekeepers ran up to intercept him.They scooped him up easily and brought him into their clutches.

By the time I unfroze a mini army was storming their way to meet us.I nocked an arrow but I knew we were hopelessly out numbered.

"Katniss!"Only his voice could stir me enough to turn my back on my enemy.

Peeta was marching towards us,a pack of Troopers behind him.He had his double bladed sword gripped in his hands.His blazing eyes were fixed on me.Not even a glimmer of black.

There was a roar behind me and Johanna cried out.I whirled around just to see her take down the guard stupid enough to stick a knife in her arm.Lucky for the two of them it wasn't her throwing one.Hearing her cry brought me to my sences and I started firing into the crowd.The Troopers joined their arrows with mine and together we took down a good few Peacekeepers.Then arrows started to attack us.

The archer had a brillaint aim.He took down any Trooper that got close to the doors in the wall where Prim was being kept.I could feel Peeta pressed against my back.

"You're in so much trouble for this."He snaps at me.

Despite the threat and the fact that we are once again in battle I was thrilled to have him near me.He gave me the strength to fight.And that's exactly what I done.I double my efforts.For every one their archer took from our side I took three from his.

The arrows where coming from every corner.I couldn't pinpoint their position and it was infuriating.That's when my crazy idea struck me.

"Cover me."I shouted to Peeta and began to move towards the wall that had taken Prim and Kurtus.I could hear Peeta shout for me to get to safety.But he didn't know.

I hacked my way through Peacekeepers until I was within range of the wall.I could feel Peeta behind me slashing about with his sword.I hope he's only injuring.Peeta isn't like me.He shouldn't have to be a killer.Not even if it is neccesary.

I was close.I could see the Peacekeepers struggling to hold Kurtus down.He's strong for a little boy.He thrashed around,screamed,bit and even head butted a few Peacekeepers all the whole screeching Prim's name.

I was just thinking how lucky she is to have him when Peeta shouts my name again.Only this time it's panicked.I turn to see him running towards me,eyes fixed on something above me.Then there's a prick in my neck.Peeta screams even louder then Kurtus.

I take the arrow out.Only it's not a normal arrow,this one has a needle's point.And now it look's empty.I draw this conclusion just as my legs turn to noodles and I drop to the ground.Only at the last second Peeta's arms catch me.He's shaking me and yelling my name desperately,there's tears in his eyes now.

I want to tell him that it wasn't a real arrow,but my lips refuse to move.A deep black color is closing in on my vision.I have to fight to keep Peeta in my sight.Blonde curls,coated with what looks like soot.Dirt coats his face but his eyes remain as blue as ever.Only now they're glazed over with tears.I yet again marvel at how truly beautiful he is.Even if he is caked in dirt,blood,sweat and everything else that accompanies a war.

Then my eyes close.The last thing I hear is his grief ridden yell.

There's an annoying beeping sound right next to me.I try to wave my hand to stop it,but my arm feels like it's weighed down with led.I try my other one but that's the same.As well as my legs.

Finally I find the strength to open my eyes.Bright white light invades my vision.I groan and shut them again.

My groan has stired the people in the room since the hum of chatter has died down.There's a scuffle and then long blonde hair and glistening blue eyes are in my view.Blocking out the cutting brightness.

"Prim."I croak.My voice is thick and I don't recgonise it at all.

"Katniss!"She cries and dives on me.

She squeases me and strangely enough the led leaves.My muscles are still stiff but other then that nothings wrong.

"Where're we?"I grumble then clear my throat.

"We're in 13 sweetie."My Mother says as she smiles and hugs me.

What's going on?She's actually talking and touching me?

I push her back.She frowns slightly,"13?"I pester,"But that place got blown to bits in the war."

Frowns.Prim and Mother exchange glances before Prim regains her voice and asks,"Katniss,what's the last thing you remember?"

I frown at them like they're stupid."What I always do.Hunting in the woods with Gale."

Mother gasps.Prim's eyes widen amd her jaw hits the ground.What's got into them?

"Peeta's not going to like this,"Mother whispers remorsely.

I frown even more though the name does stir something in the depths of my mind I find myself asking,"Who's Peeta?"