Chapter 14 Three Groups Share

Start from the beginning

Anyone want dessert while we are waiting? Beth asked. She brought out some ice cream already dipped into the bowls. Haven never ceases to amaze me!

***

The sound of scraping of the bottom of the bowls rang out just as Henry bounded in.

You would not believe the adventure we had! He said. Hi everyone! Hey, did you save us any?

You know we did! Beth said as she showed him his table. It was full of pizza, pasta, and salad.

Well, I think I had better go get washed up. Be right back. Oh, the rest of the gang will be along within about 5 minutes. Well explain in a bit. With that Henry was off to the showers.

True to Henrys word, Anna, Robert and Judy trudged in within five minutes. They were tired, but they were gleaming at their findings. They headed for the showers quickly too.

The explorers were so hungry when they got to the table that they did not have the time to talk. That is except for the Umm, this is good! Pass me the and Ooh, I am so full! But they were so engrossed in the business of eating that it was hard to tell who said what.

When finally they had all pushed away from the table, Beth asked, Well, what happened?

Well, it all started out like a normal walk. We were teasing each other, and Judy was noting down the different plants and animals as we passed them. But nothing much seemed too out of the ordinary. started Anna. We walked about an hour. Anna got up and stretched. Then she came closer to the other table and sat on the ground, tailor style. The others all joined her. Soon they were all on the ground in a circle.

Sometimes it is so much easier to relate to people when all are grounded. It certainly is an Earth tradition of many tribes. Haven brought out the grounded nature of their ancestors without their even noticing it. Anna continued her role as storyteller.

In the early days on Earth, there were people like John Muir, Lewis and Clark. They learned from the natives about animals paths that lead to water sources. They learned to track animals by learning the footprints, droppings and other signs. On Earth, in the last days we had very little left to explore, and so those techniques were passed on in books. Even the books had gotten lost or burned in some of the revolutions. Creative people found ways to preserve some of the old knowledge in high technology and wonderful hiding places. It was through those places that my teachers taught me. Besides my medical knowledge and abilities with cryonics, I was chosen to come on this mission because of what I had learned about tracking. It was because of Judys grandfather that she learned about animals and plants. Hers was generational wisdom. No one can wipe that out.

And to think that as a child I couldnt stand to hear all these stories! Yet it was the frequent hearing of these stories that as I became an adult, I was starving to learn. Im so glad I had these skill built up. It was because of these skills that I was chosen to come on the mission. Judy interjected.

And it was my book learning that led us into the trouble and Judys inner generational knowledge that got us out of trouble, Anna said smiling appreciatively at Judy. Of course, Haven did help us, but this was a time that she couldnt hold our hands. We were on our own.

From this day forward, on Haven, we will make sure that we tell our stories of adventure. Teach our lessons to each other. We will meet often and share what we have learned. You never know what someone else may know that you do not that could save your life. Even on a planet that is as protective of Her occupants as Haven is, we need to learn from each other and keep teaching even if you think they are not listening.