Chapter 1

~It is early in the morning. So early, the sun has yet to rise. Wammy's orphanage is completely silent, so quiet you wouldn't suspect anyone was there... This orphanage was founded by Quillsh Wammy, better known as Watari. As Watari was away with L, his trusted friend, Roger, was in charge of the orphanage, and children who inhabit it.
This is not your ordinary orphanage, not at all. This home is for gifted children, child geniuses, with past lives they'd rather forget. Of all the children attending Wammy's, there are three who stand above the rest...

Nate River, known as Near, was the top student; the most intelligent. He wore white pajamas, not caring much for his appearance. Near was a quiet boy, with flowing white hair. He was content, and to himself. He was in line to succeed to L, along with Mihael Keehl, known as Mello. Mello had long, golden blonde hair, with bangs hanging just below his eyebrows. He wore all black, and had bright blue eyes. His stare was intimidating, and sharp.
Mello was second, despite his hard efforts to overcome the younger boy, Near. Mello despised him every second, knowing that all of his efforts to be number one were going to waste. Mello never cared for anyone at Wammy's, he was considered a loner, someone who only trusted himself. However, he had one friend that he could always count on. Mail Jeevas, known as Matt, was third in line to succeed L, although he wasn't considered a successor. Matt had medium length red hair, and wore a black and red striped shirt under a cream vest with white embroidery. He wore goggles, which were usually placed on his forehead. Matt was the third smartest kid at Wammy's, yet the laziest. He was always found playing video games, or messing with other students. Having quite the sense of humor, he loved pranks and mayhem. Together, Matt and Mello were the perfect friendship duo.~

Monday, 5:35am.
Mello's POV:

Click...click...click...

"Turn the damn thing off, Matt..." I groan, putting a pillow over my head.

"Hold on, I'm about to level up."

Matt is sitting up on his bed, across the room from mine. We have shared a room ever since we first came to Wammy's. Rooming with a gameaholic is impossible, especially when they're up all night playing on a Nintendo DS...
I glare sharply at Matt, who is contently starting at the screen, madly tapping and clicking the buttons.
I roll over, letting out a sigh, and look at our alarm clock.

"Matt, you idiot, it's not even 6:00 yet, go back to sleep."

"Me, an idiot? That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. Now why don't you stop talking to me so I can finish this game, OK?" Matt replied, not looking up.

I grab a pillow off the floor and hurl it in his direction. It hits him smack dab in the face, and I can't help but let out a chuckle.

"AUGHHH! You made me mess up, Mello!" He said, eyes wide open, staring directly at me.

"Good, then you can sleep now," I say, pulling the covers over my head and closing my eyes.

Matt hesitantly puts his game down and lays on his bed, not saying a word. Before long, they are both fast asleep...

7:45 am.
Matt's POV:

I wake up to the sound of Mello fixing his bed. I pull the covers over my head, it can't really be time to get up, can it?

"Get up, Matt, we're going to be late." Mello says, walking over to me.

I pull the blanket down and look up at him with tired eyes.

"Late... for?"

"Roger is assigning us a project today, how could you forget?" Mello says.

"Project? Dammit. What kind of project?" I ask.