The Jabari

Hello, readers!

If this book looks familiar it's because I had it posted awhile ago but took it down recently. I just wasn't satisfied with how it was going. Anyways, this is an idea I've had ever since I saw BLACK PANTHER for the first time.

Please note that I don't own anything a except the character I created.
_____________________________

Zakia and N'Jadaka waited until summer break before they left the country. She wanted to educate her child about their culture and language. She loved this time with N'Jadaka because she could see how bright, eager, and curious he was but sometimes he was hesitant to show his feelings. He pretended that he didn't know answers or he would dance in anticipation for new information about Wakanda, then try to "play it cool". He really took to his Wakandan heritage and she couldn't wait to take him to the Jabari mountains to show him all the wonders of his kingdom.

They were picked up by a Jabari aircraft on the roof of an abandoned building. Zakia made sure they wouldn't stand on ceremony but quickly enter the craft and leave before anyone noticed. While they waited, she observed N'Jadaka as he gazed upon Oakland's city lights with sad eyes. She chastised herself for not thinking about his feelings about his home. This may be a city overflowing crime and drugs but it was the only home he shared with the father he knew. Now suddenly he's being ushered into a new world with a new culture and a new perspective on his father.

Zakia rested a hand on his shoulder. "Saying goodbye?"

N'Jadaka shrugged. "Everyone dies here."

She pulled him closer to her body as her heart broke. It was unimaginable to see such despair is such a young person. She turned her attention to the Oakland skyline and said her own goodbye.

You did the best you could, N'Jobu, she thought, I swear to guide your son as best I can. He'll make you proud.

The stood in comfortable silence, each saying their own goodbye to the city and the life they had there. A loud rumble pulled them from their revere and they turned their attention to it. The aircraft was cloaked to blend in with its surroundings and blew all sorts of trash around as it hovered above them. Despite N'Jadaka's tough exterior, he hugged his body closer to hers. She offered an assuring smile as the doors opened as if offering a new destiny for the pair.
*******************
The ride to the Jabari Mountains was surprisingly short. N'Jadaka thought that international flight took multiple stops but this ride took only one night. They entered the aircraft and Zakia found a cot to sleep on. She assured him that when he awoke, they would be in Wakanda. She watched him sleep as she spoke with the pilot. He was one of the Jabari's top War Dogs who managed to make connections with other War Fogs from the other Wakandan tribes.

"Have you reached out to the others?" Zakia asked.

The man nodded. "The others will meet us in the Border Tribe's land. There are those desperate for justice."

"What do you think of them?" She was worried about their response to N'Jadaka.

Sensing her discomfort he offered a smile. "The majority either knew Prince N'Jobu well or respected him greatly. I'm sure they'll receive the boy the same way they received his father."

She let out a sigh of relief and turned to the child. She noticed the time and moved to wake him up.

"N'Jadaka," she whispered, "Come, child. You'll miss the sunrise."