N'Jadaka

Hello, readers!

If this book looks familiar it's because I had it posted awhile ago but took it down recently. I just wasn't satisfied with how it was going. Anyways, this is an idea I've had ever since I saw BLACK PANTHER for the first time.

Please note that I don't own anything a except the character I created.
________________________

A son...N'Jobu has a son! Zakia felt a swirl of emotions battle for dominance. She felt immense sorrow for N'Jobu and how he would never see his son grow into a man. The grief she felt for the child threatened to consume her whole being at the thought of this child never knowing the fierce idealistic warrior his father was. Red hot fury burned her heart knowing that T'Chaka would murder his own brother and abandon a helpless child. What kind of a king does such evil? But the great storm of emotion that threatened to throw her off balance was fear of meeting young Erik. What if he doesn't like me? What if I can't take care of him? What if I let N'Jobu down? Will he forgive me?

"Miss?" The social worker's voice brought Zakia back to the present.

"Yes?"

"We're headed towards Erik's school for our first meeting," she smiled, "Are you excited?"

Zakia shifted in her chair. "Nervous..."

The older woman patted Zakia's arm. "That's alright. It's just good to know that Erik has family. I'm sure he's just as nervous as you are."

Zakia gave a small smile and nodded as they pulled into the school's parking lot. Normally she would be counting exits and observing the crowds around her for potential threats, but her mind buzzed with "what if's". Her mind flashed various scenarios of young Erik crying or shouting in anger. She tried to plan what she would say and how she would say it in the hopes that the child would be more receptive to her. She was so wrapped in her own mind that she didn't even realize that the social worker guided her into the counselor's office. The counselor was kind and gave a brief overview of Erik's case.

Poor child, she thought, such anger for one so young.

A knock at the door brought her out of her musings. Taking a deep breath she turned around and saw the boy shuffle his way in. He didn't look up from his shoes and barely responded to the counselor.

"Erik, this is Zakia. She's your father's cousin." She motioned for him to sit. "Why don't you say hello?"

Erik shrugged his shoulders. " 'Sup..."

Zakia couldn't help herself. She could tell that this boy wouldn't easily open up. So she prayed to Bast that N'Jobu taught him something of his heritage. She leaned forward and held her gaze the slouching youth.

*Tell me who you are.* She said in Wakandan.

Erik's eyes snapped up to her. It was as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

*I said tell me who you are.*

*I'm N'Jadaka. Son of Prince N'Jobu.* He eyed her wearily *Prove to me that you're one of us*

Zakia smirked before she pulled her lip down so he could see her War Dog tattoo. "My pops had one just like that." He said with wonder.

Zakia smiled. "I know. He was there when I got mine."

"That was lovely." The counselor gasped. "What language was that?"

"It's Wakandan," Erik answered, "We were just saying wassup."

###

It took a few more weeks of paperwork and CPS visits until N'Jadaka was allowed to live with Zakia. For the time being, Zakia was staying at a War Dog safe house. It gave her enough privacy for her investigation into N'Jobu's "disappearance". But now that she had Erik, she didn't know where to turn. She couldn't go back to Wakanda. If T'Chaka was willing to kill his own brother, who knows what he would do to N'Jadaka. She needed some time to think.

She turned her attention to the driveway and readied herself to welcome N'Jadaka. She put on her best smile for the social worker and opened the door. She noticed N'Jadaka was still weary of his surroundings but at least walked around to explore while the adults talked. The social worker handed Zakia all the paperwork for Erik's adoption. Zakia insisted on an adoption because she didn't want to wrestle with the tangled system Americans had if she wanted to take N'Jadaka out of the country. She needed to keep things as neat as possible incase T'Chaka's spies tried tracking N'Jadaka down to finish the job. Before leaving, the social worker gave Erik her card and encouraged him to call if he needed anything.

At last the two were alone but neither knew how to react. Zakia could see it in N'Jadaka's eyes. That rage and hurt ready to erupt at the slightest noise.

"Come," She motioned to the couch, "let's sit and talk."

"What? Don't speak Wakandan now?" N'Jadaka crossed his arms tightly across his chest.

*Would you prefer it?* She asked.

"Yeah," he said as he stomped to the couch and sat down with a heavy plop.

*How much about Wakanda has your father—*

*First I want to know how you know my Pops...You certainly don't act like a cousin* he grumbled.

Zakia giggled, *You're perceptive for someone so young. You're right I'm not a cousin but I'm a really close friend. I owe your father so much*

*What are you doing here though? Why didn't my uncle come*

*Your uncle is king and he has stupid rules to follow* she rubbed her forehead *Wakanda is a very isolated country and to them you would be an outsider*

N'Jadaka bowed his head and stared at his hands. His lip quivered and he closed his hand into a fist. *Then why are you here? Why come back at all if my own family didn't want me?*

Zakia cautiously reached for the boy's chin and gently nudged him to look at her. His eyes were threatening to spill heartbroken tears down his cheeks. *I came because N'Jobu was family to me. It broke my heart to discover his death and I will honor his memory by giving you the life he wanted for you*

N'Jadaka cried in earnest and didn't know whether to find comfort in her words or mistrust them. Zakia was just as heartbroken and confused, but seeing the lonely boy in front of her forced her to simply react. She slowly wrapped her arms around him and let the boy cry on her shoulder. She felt all the hurt and exhaustion radiating from the boy and with every sob she felt her hatred for T'Chaka grow tenfold. She silently vowed that she would make T'Chaka pay dearly for this devastation.

*I promise that I'll take care of you, little cub* she murmured in his ear *I'm going to open doors that you never dreamed existed*

*Really?* N'Jadaka hiccuped as he looked up at this strange woman.

Zakia nodded. *Did you know that Wakanda has the most beautiful sunsets in all the world?*

N'Jadaka nodded eagerly. *My pops used to say that all the time!*

Zakia chuckled as she squeezed him tighter. *Well, soon you'll get to see for yourself. I promise, little cub, you'll love it there.*