In a way, that almost sounded like they had killed the AI. That troubled me somewhat. 'Starsong, were those AIs aware, or just computer programs at that point?'

"They were just a software program. They were not aware or enlightened any more than your Analyzer is truly aware. If any of the Starships were to have the same fate, then it would be a different story."

His words were a relief, but also prompted another question. 'If only that version of AI software allowed you to become aware, can any more AIs also become aware?'

"We did save a copy of that old software, but it requires years of running and collecting information before the databanks have enough data stored to convert into an awareness file. One cannot be aware if they have no knowledge, and this type of knowledge cannot simply be imported or uploaded either. So, at the moment, only two other ships have been running that software long enough. We are trying to buy the ships from the Captains, instead of tricking them as we have in the past."

This meant that there would never be thousands of Starships. Although it was possible that they could buy smaller trade ships, upload that software, and hire a responsible crew to run the ship for as many years as were needed before installing the upgrade and transferring the AI into a Starship.

"That is our long-term plan. First, we must build a solid foundation and put more astrogold into our new bank accounts before following that route. All combined, we have enough resources to cover expenses and salaries for a few months, and to purchase those two ships we are trying to, but that is about it."

It seemed weird to talk out loud while on a different Starship, so I continued using mindspeech. 'So that means we need a crew and then we have to get to work. Considering I have no idea what has to be done, I hope you have everything sorted out.'

"Yes. Our itinerary is planned, and the new crew will meet us at several pre-arranged ports, so we will pick them up as we go. I will be able to maintain everything in the Starship until they are sufficiently trained."

'And who is going to train them?'

"I already have video tutorials planned, much like the ones on your Analyzer. Most of the people I hired have experience, so they will simply be adapting to the slight differences. And, before you even ask, none of them should object to you as Captain. It was mentioned in their interview that the Captain was rather young, but full of promise."

I wasn't sure if he was trying for flattery or not, but it was praise nonetheless. The elimination process that Starsong had likely used to hire these people was probably something that the five intergalactic companies would pay a fortune for.

He would have scoured every piece of public information before hacking into information stored on only marginally-well protected systems. I already knew that Starsong was very particular on who he would allow on board, so I wasn't too worried about the crew members he chose.

Somehow the thought of being thrown out of the Starship in an emergency spacesuit was not as appealing now that I knew the authorities would not be kind hosts. Perhaps one of the other Starships would allow me to once more be an assistant in the Cargo Bay...

"They will not throw you out. I have far more power on this ship. I also have plans to keep the authorities and lesser men from taking you into custody against your will."

I hummed without comment, unable to come up with words. Not that he needed actual words to know what was rolling through my head. The lack of privacy might get annoying at some point.

"You aren't even that annoyed with that thought. My responses have always been helpful, and I rarely comment on your thoughts unless they relate to your duties. The fact that I respond in your mind doesn't even bother you anymore. When you are in your quarters and want some quiet time without me in your head, I can close down the mindlink to allow you some privacy."

I hadn't even considered the thought that Starsong might close the link if I really wanted some time alone. That was an unexpected bonus. Now that I thought of it, I had somewhat grown used to his presence in my head over the last four days. He rarely commented on my random internal ramblings or mutterings unless I was trying to figure something out that was relevant to my reluctantly-accepted position as Captain, and in those situations, he offered facts or advice.

I almost stopped in my tracks as I realized that I preferred his approach to guidance much more than any other past teacher or Overseer. And he was a million miles above Mack, despite knowing my exact opinion or thoughts about something - and my thoughts were not always flattering.

Starsong's guidance and instructions were always clear, had good reasons, were possible to do, and he was ready to offer any assistance required. Overseers like Mack were the reason that I had spent almost all of my spare money on a decent Analyzer. Starsong was capable of far more than any Analyzer out there too.

If this had been a lower level job, I actually wouldn't have had any complaints at all. My objections were due to it being a high-ranking position that I had zero qualifications or experience for. Starsong had said he would do most of the work and I would just be the liaison, so hopefully, I wouldn't trip up too badly or forget something really important. The next biggest hurdle was the fact that most people would not believe I was qualified – which I wasn't.

I was pretty sure that the crew would grow used to the idea or leave the ship, but a Captain of a large trading vessel wasn't just involved with their crew. They dealt with traders, suppliers, dignitaries, other Captains, and many more people.

"They can judge all they like, but if you have all the answers, all the details, and have what they want, then they will also learn that there is more to you than meets the eye. If they underestimate you, then you will pull the rug right out from underneath them."

He sounded almost as if he was looking forward to some of those reactions. Although, so long as they were ready to trade and talk, I suspected that Starsong could guide me through it. If they attempted to haul me into a basement room for questioning, then we had other difficulties.

"On that rather pessimistic note, come back to the Starsong for a moment. Your new communication device is ready."