Chapter 8: Coronation

Inaho and I didn't talk much the past few days. We only talked when we needed to, but avoided each other the rest of the time.

Empress Asseylum's funeral went by without any problems. People from all over Earth attended the funeral. I went with Inaho as my escort since I can't go anywhere on my own.

The day after the funeral, Klancain was confirmed the killer. His whereabouts are still unknown, though. It still confuses me why, though. I didn't necessarily like him, but I didn't think he was a killer.

Today Princess Lemrina, Empress Asseylum's sister, is taking the throne. At first I was shocked. I didn't think anyone really knew about her, but it turns out she became quite popular on Mars. When Empress Asseylum took up more work between Mars and Earth, Princess Lemrina stood in for her and the Martians grew to like her considerably. On Earth, she was hardly known, but on Mars, she had become as popular as Empress Asseylum.

I looked out the window. The blue sky was still vibrant and the ground was still dotted with colourful flowers. It's funny how the world doesn't care about people dying or a change of position. It'll be the same no matter what happens with humans or animals, but we can thrive or wilt because of those things. 

A knock sounds at my door and I jolt a bit. "Yes?" I ask and get off the bed. 

"You have a visitor," Inaho says monotonously. A visitor?  Who would be visiting me? 

I open the door. "Who is it?" My eyes widen and I bow deeply. "P-princess Lemrina. It's an honor for you to visit me like this." 

"There's no need for formalities. We know each other very closely." I hear her wheel closer. "Please. Raise your head." 

I do as she instructs and meet her eyes. Quickly, I break the eye contact, ashamed of the way I used her in the time before my imprisonment. 

"I forgive you. It's okay," she says genuinely. 

"Huh..?" I didn't say anything. I look at her again.

"You look distraught. You feel guilty, don't you?"

"Yes," I admit. "I shouldn't have treated you the way I did." 

She smiles warmly at me. "And it's okay."

I hesitantly nod, "Okay." I look at her. She's grown a lot. She was still a teenager when I met her, but now she looks more mature and her features are more defined. Her hair is longer now, too; it reaches her shoulders. Even though she's changed physically, she's still as kind and understanding as she was in the past.

"I wanted to come here today to formally invite you to my coronation. I knew you'd still feel guilty about the time we spent together on Mars so I wanted you to know that I still think of you as a close friend and I appreciate the time we spent together. So..will you come?"

I'm a little shocked. She's not just forgiving me, but she's thanking me and asking me to be a guest at her coronation!? "Y-yes! Of course I will!"

She smiles brighter. "Thank you, but I'm afraid I have to go now. I hope we can catch up some time in the future." She bows her head in farewell and wheels herself out. I'm honestly surprised no guards are escorting her, but I guess it may be because Inaho is here.

Oh, right.. Inaho. We've barely talked at all and now we're left alone, starting at each other. "I can go..right?" I should've thought of this before I agreed. 

"You'd have to go even if you declined her offer. I was invited and I can't leave you unattended." Right. I guess I didn't forget about that, but I definitely wasn't thinking about it at the moment. 

I turn to my room, "I was just making sure. I'll see you when you're ready to leave." I start for my room, hoping to get out of the awkward atmosphere.

"Hold on. I have something for you." 

Huh?  I turn to look at him, but I only see his back walking away from me. He must be going to get it. A minute later, he returns with a suit. 

"Put this on. It's a formal event." 

The suit looks new and made of high quality fabric, but I don't know why Inaho would bother getting something nice for me. He probably just rented it. That wouldn't really change the quality, though.

"Thanks," I mumble and turn back to my room. "Um.. Do you want me to come out again when I'm finished?"

"I'll make you dinner." He says matter-of-factly.

I turn around, "That doesn't ans-" He's gone. I sigh and go into my room. It's been a while since I've worn anything like this. Before I went to prison, I used to wear a uniform. It's not the same thing, but it's probably similar to put on. 

I get dressed slowly, thinking about the events of the past week. It's pretty crazy to think about it all at once. Why did Klancain murder Empress Asseylum? If it was a power thing, he would've stayed and feigned innocence, but he fled. Once I finish dressing, I lay on the bed and stare up at the ceiling, getting lost in thought.

Soon after, or at least it feels like soon after, a knock sounds at the door. I jump a bit, but then realize it's just Inaho fetching me for dinner. Getting up, I stare at the wooden door. It doesn't feel weird at all. It feels like every time someone knocks on the door, it's Inaho on the other side. I go over to the door and open it to the familiar crimson eyes. 

He looks me over. "Good. Do you want to eat now or after the coronation?"

I don't answer at first. I stare at his outfit. It's the same white shirt and black vest accompanied with the navy suit that he wore when he visited me in prison. He always wore this outfit. Is he mocking me?

I come to my senses and realize he's still waiting for an answer. Embarrassed at my spacing out, I feel my cheeks heat up a bit. "Uh.. After is fine."

He nods and turns around, leading me to the door. Our transportation hasn't arrived yet, so we stand silently beside each other. 

"That suits you," he says suddenly. 

He's complimenting me? I really don't understand how he feels about me. Does he want to be my friend or does he just see me as an aquaintace. The fight we had wasn't that of malice so maybe he really does want us to have a positvie relationship.

"Thanks. I think that suits you, too. Is it some sort of military outfit?"

"In a way. It was given to me after the war, but it's not a symbol of any of the military forms. It's more like something that was given to me out of respect," he explains. 

"Oh." I don't really know what else to say. But thankfully the car comes and takes us on our way to the coronation.

XxXxXxXxXxXxXx

I'm going to try to update more, but I can't promise anything. But hey! At least I completed this chapter!

Bye, bye! 

17-7-18