Chapter Eighteen

"There's another person who wants to audition, Ms. Darbus," blurts Gabriella.

Troy's eyes widen in horror as his hands fly up to his head. He can't stop himself from whisper shouting, 'What?' in complete astonishment. A very confused and surprised Sophie halts her movement and whirls around to face Gabriella who she believed to be right behind her. Neither could figure out what their new friend was doing and instead remain behind the wall of the exit, unseen by Ms. Darbus.

"We should go," Troy whispers while gesturing to the exit. Sophie ignores him, causing him to groan and spin around in frustration while throwing his hands in the air.
"Timeliness means something in the world of theater, young lady," scolds Ms. Darbus.
"Well, it's not for me exactly."
"Then who, pray tell, wishes to audition?"
"Sophie!" Gabriella reveals. The girl in question slowly makes her way out from behind the wall and sheepishly waves to Ms. Darbus with a hesitant smile. She can't find it in herself to be mad at her friend because she truly doesn't mind auditioning for the musical.
Ms. Darbus looks startled as she stares at one of her better homeroom students. She had the girl for the last three school years and was not aware that the young lady had any interest in singing at all.
"Well, nevermind that. The fact of the matter is, the individual auditions are long, long over and there are simply no other pairs," Ms. Darbus concludes.
"I'll sing with her."