Chapter 14 - The Expo

(I should mention in this fanfic I'm gonna have Varian not have a crush on Cassandra cause I feel it'll get in the way of some things. I also cut out some scenes as I felt they weren't necessary to the plot.)

Varian and (y/n) trotted along to Corona with his father. They joked and laughed as Quirin steadily watched them. Warily, he eyed (y/n). He didn't know if he could trust her or not. Varian twitched in excitement, "we're almost there!" They began to run along the bridge that led from the mainland to the castle. He grunted as he pushed along his invention and (y/n) got way ahead of him. He exclaimed, "that's not fair! You aren't pushing a heavy invention!" (Y/n) laughed and ran back, helping him push it. They finally arrived to the island. Looking up, (y/n) and Varian noticed Cassandra angrily talking to herself. They both looked at her and laughed before rolling his invention to where the expo would be held. They left it with the others and walked into the town. There were a lot of shops to look at. (Y/n) pulled a drawstring bag from a satchel she had, "wanna get some chocolate?" She raised an eyebrow and grinned. Varian widened his eyes and jumped, "Yes!" They ran to Monty's shop quicker than rabbits and peered inside. There was a lot to choose from. (Y/n) ran up to Monty and ordered a box of everything while Varian gazed at her. He watched her and smiled as she ran back with chocolates. The two walked outside and walked to a giant fountain. They sat on the edge and began to eat all of the candy piece by piece until nothing was left. (Y/n) patted her gut and joked, "I'm fat enough to feed the entire world.." Varian laughed and tilted his head, "you're not fat." (Y/n) batted her eyes shyly, "why thank you kind sir." Both started to snort from laughing so hard. Looking at the time, Varian yawned, "the expo should be starting soon. Would you...wanna be my assistant?" (Y/n) bounced up and down and squeaked, "Of course!" Varian nodded and led the way as they walked back to where the expo was being held. They made sure they had everything they needed and then, it began. People began to come up with their inventions. Most of them were for making chores easier. Varian yawned and smirked, he knew he was gonna win. (Y/n) noticed and warned him, "don't get too cocky." Varian shrugged and smiled, "yeah, sure." Finally, it was time to see Varian's invention. He rolled it up and grinned at the crowd. You stood opposite and got ready to grab the bag of sand needed to create what the machine makes; elements. He cleared his throat and puffed his chest out, "I give you, the Elemental Remogrifier!" The crowd stared in interest as (y/n) poured the sand into the machine. Varian then pushed down a lever to start the machine, "The rotation causes friction, which heats the sand, while the counter-centrifigual force promotes particle compression.
The end result? Fifty pounds of sand turns into - this." Suddenly, it stopped moving. Varian reached in and grabbed something very small out of it; a new element. It shone a dark purple glow. The crowd applauded and cheered as he named it, "I call it (first few letters of your name)drium." (Y/n) blushed and smiled brightly at him. Varian grinned back and raised an eyebrow, making (y/n) laugh. St Croix raised a brow in interest but then, a lady appeared from a cloud of purple fog. She screamed, "Everybody at this expo make some noise!" The crowd cheered loudly before she continued, "but first,I give you chocolate!" The crowds roar grew louder and (y/n) and Varian stood awkwardly on the stage, waiting to see what would happen next, "Now this is science! Jaws, prepare to drop! Larynxes, get ready to scream, and eyeballs, how about you take a good look around, because once I unveil my marveltacular creation, the world will never look the same! I give you the Fantasphere!" The lady revealed a machine that used gravity to make a ball float slightly in the air. She batted her eyes innocently, "oh my gosh, how does she do it? It's so amazing." She grinned sheepishly at the crowd and knew she'd won. Varian raised an eyebrow and stared in confusion, "but what does it do?" The lady laughed, "kid, what doesn't it do? Now take some chocolate and shut up." Varian looked down hurt as master st croix announced the lady won. He pushed past (y/n) and sat down at the fountain. He stared down silently before closing his eyes. (Y/n) caught up to him and put her arm over his shoulder, "you should've won." He shrugged and looked off to the side, not meeting (y/n)'s face, "the truth is...all I really wanted to do was impress you.." (y/n) grinned widely at this, "but you did Varian! You always have since the moment we met. You're smart, compassionate, and the best friend ever! I love you-" (y/n) coughed and realized what she'd said before coughing, embarrassed. Varian widened his eyes and looked at her. She began to meet his eye when he pulled in closer and- smooch. He landed a fat kiss on her cheek. (Y/n) felt hot in the face as she grinned and searched for words. Varian laughed, "I guess we see eye to eye, huh?" (Y/n) smiled and punched his arm, "yeep!"