Chapter 48. The Divine Move

Start from the beginning

“Are you threatening me?” he scoffed, a smirk tugging on his lips. 

I grinned, “If the Oni couldn’t defeat you, I’m the one that can.” 

“You won’t be doing much of anything anymore.” he snapped, and then he disappeared. 

This was good. I was making progress. The box shook, like it was losing it’s ability to stay upright. It’s the riddle. I need to figure out the answer to the riddle. 

Everyone has it but no one can lose it.

I don’t know. It’s something that Stiles could figure out— if he can do it, I can do it. I can figure out what this damn riddle means. 

You can lose your mind. You can lose your belief. You can lose your passion. You can lose your spirit. 

I glanced down at the ground in frustration. It’s so damn bright in here. The stupid white on white theme is hurting my eyes. Well, that’s another thing you can lose, your sight. So it’s not that.

To be completely honest, it’s possible to lose everything. I looked up to the overhead lights and tried to think of something, anything, no matter how minuscule or irrelevant, that a person could lose that would be the answer to this riddle.

I glanced down to the ground again before my eyes snapped back to the light, then back to the floor. I took a step forward and looked over my shoulder, and found that I didn’t have a shadow. I should have one if the light is shining on me, right? 

I’m the part of the bird that’s not in the sky. I can swim in the ocean, yet still remain dry.

Everyone has it but no one can lose it.

“A shadow.” I breathed out in realization. 

The box shook once more before it shattered, bits and shards of glass shooting out in any and all directions. I held my hands over my face, listening as the glass hit the tile floor. Shakily, I pulled my hands back and glanced around, I was in the hallway of the school now. 

It was dark and cold. 

Hesitantly, I took a step forward, not really knowing what was going on. I could hear people conversing, and instantly recognized the voices. I could hear Stiles and Scott. 

I started to run. 

I ran to the double doors that led to the outside and pushed them open, but instead of being met with the familiar sight of the courtyard of the school, I was back in the hallway. It was another paradox— like in Stiles’ mind when Scott and I tried to save him.

Great. 

I turned back around and froze in place when I saw Void Stiles standing at the other end of the hallway. He did not look happy at all. 

“You figured it out?” he growled in annoyance, making his way towards me. 

I tried to back up but the doors were locked and I couldn’t get away. 

“You think you can take control again? You think you can beat me at my own game?” he laughed, an insane sounding laugh, and it made my skin crawl because even though it wasn’t Stiles… it sounded so much like him.

My heart stopped momentarily as I tried to come up with something witty to say. Something to stop him. Something to throw him off.

“I already have.” I rushed out. 

He stopped his advance, “You think just because you got out of your cage that we are on the same level?” 

“You may be the one running the show, but this is still my head.” I stated with false confidence. I didn’t know if I could find a way to get my plan to work, but I was praying that Kira's going to do what I tell her to do. If she doesn't hesitate, then it should all work.