Chapter 5: Wild Card, slipping back

"What if I'm the reason she's not gonna make it? I didn't exactly pay attention 100% in CPR class." Max was talking almost without stopping as Trey kept his eyes glued to the road.  

                          "I don't think going through that will.." 

"I mean Trey, we all know I can surf but I'm not a swimming expert. What if I just didn't get there fast enough?" Max pushed his bangs back over his head and ran his hands through them, finally tying everything back with a green bandana.                                       

    "She could be barely holding on because of me or worse."                           

 "Max!" The truck swerved as Trey basically shouted.  "All I'm saying is lets get there first before we make any judgments." Trey put a hand on Max's shoulder, then set it back on the steering wheel.                   

----

When they finally reached the weather-beaten brownstone monstrosity that was Nag's Head General, Max felt his heart about to jump out of his chest. Only ten or so windows were lit in a haphazard pattern, going up the front-side of the building and he wondered where she was. 

The mystery girl. It's almost eleven p.m. Crap, my uncle's gonna kill me when he finds out what's been happening. Crap, dizzy.

Max felt himself sink to the pavement until Trey held him most of the way up. "Max, you can't be drunk here." Trey looked wildly back in forth as if they were already surrounded by a pack of cops.

Flashing  sapphire lights. Oh no, no, no, not now. If they come, I'll run. I'll come back and check on her later.

"Trey, how did they find us here?" Trey rolled his eyes in response, then looked to the emergency room door, which was directly to their right, and back to Max.

No way out. Need to run. Need to go.

"My fault, I drank Max. It's not like I was sober and you were almost manic about finding her and you're like my brother man."  Trey, again! Just like three months ago, almost getting us locked up.

"Look Max." Trey's eyes shot back to the door as the blue lights were blinding, almost right on them, but really only just turning into the far end of the parking lot.

"You go in, get away from me. I'll take the heat." He's already got a DUI.

"Trey, I can't let you do that. They'll put you away for 60 days man, I can't."

"Get out of here man," Trey pushed him threw the door as the blue lights rounded the corner. Max took one more luck at his ghostly friend, who winked, his emerald eyes shining in the moonlight and his white sweatshirt, swinging slightly in the ocean breeze.

Max then found himself alone in a bustling waiting room, in which he knew no one.

What's her name? How do I even find her?

.