Chapter 11

Bubbles. They wrapped around her and attempted to lift her up. Small, white bubbles. That's what she saw as she sank to the bottom of the lake. The light got dimmer as she sunk farther down. No light... no life... Her lungs burned with the need of oxygen, and her eyes stung from keeping them open underwater. She shut her eyes tightly and frantically waved her wings. She didn't know which way was up, and which way was down. She was forced to open her eyes as she hit the bottom of the lake with a thump, sand churning around her. She narrowed her eyes, spotting a few rays of light dripping into the lake. She propelled herself towards the surface, using her wings like flippers. Stars danced at the edge of her vision, which was turning dull and black. Not... going... to... make... it...

     In one last attempt, she pushed herself upwards with a final burst of energy. Her head emerged from the surface of the water, and she coughed the water out of her lungs as she took in deep breaths of air. Air had never tasted so crisp and refreshing. It was as if she had taken the first breath in her whole lifetime.

     Water dripped into her eyes and she paddled in place, scanning the sky above her. No shadow, no glistening teeth, no Monah. She let out a sigh of relief and floundered in the water for a second. Which way do I go? She turned towards the cliff she had jumped from, peering up at the enormous rock. Did I really jump from way up there? Her eyes shifted near the bottom of cliff, where there was a small indent. I wonder what that is. She cut through the water, feeling more confident the longer she swam.

     The water actually felt nice, it was just a matter of not panicking and getting used to it. Now that she focused, she could see all the way to the bottom. A smooth layer of sand coated the flat rocks. In the deeper part, there were a few strands of a kind of plant sullenly floating where the current took it. Shadows and light dappled the bottom of the lake as the clouds lazily drifted across the sky.

     Her paw touched the shore and she pulled herself up. A cold breeze rushed by, causing her to sneeze. Cold. Freezing. She huddled by the protection of the cliff face, trying to hide from the mountain wind. Fire. I need fire. She tried to recall what Thomas had done. A stone? No, two stones. But they were unique. I can't find any here. She growled in frustration and hugged her wings close to herself.

     Well fire is from the Sun, so maybe that can give it to me. She grabbed a few stick and piled them on top of each other. Hm... something's missing. She grabbed a few scattered, dry leaves and placed them on top. Now how do I get the Sun to lend me some fire? I suppose I just can't ask, no, the Sun might not hear.

     A gleam caught her eye. She turned towards it, her wing covering her eyes. The shimmer was blinding, and she knew immediately who had sent it. She raced over and carefully picked it up. It was a sharp object, hard and smooth in her paw. There was a glint as she tilted it and held it up to the sunlight. It's... a reflection. She scampered back to her pile of sticks and leaves and held the object over it. She turned it so it was facing the Sun. She could see the sunlight, it was bouncing off of it, straight into the pile of sticks and leaves. Now I just have to wait.

     Moments passed, and her paw started to feel heavy. Not yet. Hold it up. There was a hiss as a wisp of smoke came up from the pile. Then a crackle. The sticks and leaves hissed again before a small red flame appeared, growing bigger and bigger. But not fast enough. Come on! She glanced up at the darkening sky. Night's almost here.

     Caroline peered at the small and let out a small breath, and the flame leapt to life. She tilted her head curiously and blew softly on it again. The flame lapped up the air that she gave it, becoming bigger. Soon enough, the fire was crackling and sizzling in front of her.

     The warmth coming off of it reminded her of when it was day, like the warmth radiating off of the Sun. She held her paws close to the fire and let out a content sigh. But Monah might find me this way. She look a large stick and plastered the top with leaves and grasses. She set that part on fire, just as she had seen Thomas do, then carefully scanned the area around her.

     Carved into the cliff face was a narrow tunnel, but not like the one that led to the Room of Books. It wasn't endless, it quickly opened up to a clearing, no, a room. She entered, the wall soaking in the light that it rarely ever saw. The room, instead of books, was filled with drawings.

     Caroline examined each one carefully, excitement building up inside of her. She traced one with her finger. This one... Mother Earth's spreading her wings to cover the whole earth. And this one. Father Sky's breathing life into the clouds. And Sister Sea. She breathed out enough water to create the lakes and the seas. And... this one's Brother Stone. This is when he created the first dragons. She stopped at the last one, a drawing that any dragon would be able to recognize. Shootingstar.

     The stars were small, white specks of powder, but dried from the ages it had been there. The night must have been made with some kind of juice from a plant, but it was faded, probably from being there for so long. How long have all of these drawings been here? Decades? Centuries? And how could dragons make something this small? The answer ricocheted back to her. Humans. Humans were here.