PART TWO: DEFEND ME, ATTORNEY

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I won't," I firmly said, trying to get a hold of myself.

"Look," he said, making a face I never saw before. He looked and seemed different as if he was not the person I grew up with. "I'm a murderer. I killed my dad. Aren't you scared of me, Courtney? Thinking I might kill you too?"

"Traise, I'm not," I said, looking in his eyes still. "Because I know you are not capable of doing so."

He laughed, mockingly. "Not capable?" and his face turned serious. "I just did."

My mouth opened up to say something but none came out.

He inched the gap of our face and stared into my eyes. "If you think I'm still the same best friend you once had, you're wrong. So stop acting like you know me because you don't. I only let you see a part of me that will be convenient for you to see. We have our own dirty little secrets, Courtney. And what? You'll save me? You can't save someone who has no intention of being saved at all. The public is right, I'm a monster."

His cold eyes looked at me sharply.

"So do me a favor. Don't come here again. I don't wanna see you."

He stood up and started to walk away.  I was left with nothing but pain in me. Just then,  he stopped, and he looked back.

"The lawyer you sent me, I turned him down. A public defender will do. After all, no trials will happen."

"W-Why?" I asked, shocked. "What do you mean?"

He smiled weakly.

"I'll plea guilty."

It had been hours since he said he'll plea guilty but my mind still can't absorb it. His preliminary trial will start two days from now at mababaliw na ako kakaisip kung paano ako makakagawa ng paraan to help him.

Preliminary trial happens before the actual trial. Ito 'yung part wherein the accused will either plea guilty or not guilty.

If nag guilty ang accused, it means ina-admit n'ya ang krimen and no trials will happen at doon na s'ya mismo sisintensyahan with a lighter verdict. However, if they plead not guilty, the judge will contemplate if there's probable cause to continue the case. If wala, i di-dismiss ang kaso pero kung mayroon, trials will happen.

"There's nothing that we can do then," my professor said. "He keeps on admitting the crime. He'll for sure plea guilty."

I sighed. "Eh paano kung mali 'yung verdict?"

My professor laughed. "How can it be wrong when the accused keeps on admitting? Atsaka, bakit ba i-ginigiit mong inosente s'ya kahit napakaraming ebidensya na nagtuturo na he did the crime and even he, himself, admits it?"

I shrugged.

Bakit nga ba?

Bakit nga ba hindi pa rin ako naniniwala kahit na napakaraming ebidensya?

Frustratedly, I went to my next class.

"Ooops, and'yan na 'yung partner-in-crime n'ung criminal," a woman said.

The class laughed.

"Anong sabi mo?" I immediately asked back.

"'Di ba, you were seen together when he got caught?" she asked smilingly while the whole class was in amusement. "Did you plan the killings together or what? Wow, what a great kink you got there, huh, Ms. Spencer."

I smiled. "What if we did? And I'm planning to murder you now?"

She smiled as well. "Careful with words, miss. We're studying law. I might get you kicked out due to death threat. Ang daming witness oh."