PART ONE: WHERE IT ALL STARTED

Magsimula sa umpisa

Nevertheless, he turned out to be a tall and smart man as we grow up. My dad sponsored his school tuition and expenses in exchange of him tutoring me for free. I'm a bit dense, you see. He was both the salutatorian in Elementary and High School, when in fact he can be the Valedictorian himself. Well, only if his dad was supportive enough.

In college, he took BS Biology as his pre-med course while I took Political Science as my pre-law. He was a consistent dean's lister and his popularity in school because of his intellect and face was insane.

It was fine at first until he lost his track again. His father was no longer assaulting him physically but now, mentally. His mom became his dad's recent punching bag. I told him we should report it to the authorities but his mom didn't want to.

Left with no choice, I witnessed how he lost interest in his studies. He was forced to take countless part-time jobs just to earn money so his mom won't be beaten up anymore.

I gulped.

"W-What's with your dad?" I asked with anger arising within me. "Your mom got beaten up again?"

He smiled weakly and he looked down.

"He didn't. This day, he didn't..."

Astounded, I looked at him. "Wow, Traise! Bago 'yan, ha!"

He smiled shyly.

"Courtney, isn't it a piece of good news? It's the start. Mom won't get slaps and bruises anymore."

Confused, I forced a smile. "Dapat lang 'no! Ako bu-bugbog sa tatay mo, eh!"

He laughed. "Now you sound like a mad girlfriend."

"Do you want me to?" I jokingly said.

"I'd love to."

Flabbergasted, I looked at him.

No, he was not joking this time.

He looked down and let out a sigh. "But I can't and I should not."

I opened my mouth but nothing came out.

"I know you like me," he said. He was smiling when he met my eyes. "My body might have been numb from all the beatings I got from my dad but my heart isn't."

"Since when?" I asked. My eyes were alarmed. "Since when did you know?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I just felt like you like me."

"How?" I asked with nothing but determination in my eyes.

He looked at me and it was clear that he was seeking if there's still a way out.

"Tell me, Traise," I said eagerly. "How did you know?"

When he realized I won't stop unless he'll give me the explanation I wanted, his face started to soften. He stared at my eyes intently and suddenly, his lips curved a small smile.

"When you started giving me the look I gave you the moment I first laid my eyes on you..."

My jaw literally dropped. My heart just skipped a bit and I felt the entire zoo inside me.

How should I respond to that when he was looking deeply at my eyes and with a smile on his lips?

His smile widened. "I like you too."

I literally bit my lower lip. Matagal ko nang pinangarap marinig sa kaniya iyon pero ngayong narinig ko na bakit parang gusto kong tumakbo? I can even feel my cheeks burning red.

However, before I could answer his sudden confession that never did I expect, he smiled weakly.

"But I should not," he followed. "I must stop."