Chapter 3 ~ So Much For Summer

[AUTHOR'S NOTE]

Wow, three chapters (practically four) in about two days! This is miraculous. *_______*

So, this chapter is dedicated to another one of my best friends, Katherine, AKA @AddictionofFuzzyxx! She's another one of my fantastic writer friends, and I appreciate how I can always talk to her and get feedback for my audacious ideas! Love you a ton, Kat! :3

Once again, thanks for reading, and---you know the drill---vote, comment, and maybe even fan! Thanks so much! (:

Lots of LOVE, LOL! xD

~Linh

_________________________________

Chapter 3 ~ So Much For Summer

June 1, 2012

I chew on the tip of my pencil anxiously.

"54. In a certain ecosystem, there is a species native to the area. Over the centuries, they have evolved into several similar, but different species, that continued to evolve until they were less and less alike, their DNA morphing into very dissimilar coding. What type of evolution is occurring?

A. Convergent evolution

B. Divergent evolution

C. Parallel evolution"

When Nathan still lived next-door, and went to the bustling Elma J. Walker High with me, he would solemnly tell me that I thought too much. " 'If peacocks are India's national bird, does that exclude peahens?' 'Is crying a sign of weakness or strength?' 'Why do we call some religions "mythologies instead of religions? Isn't that kinda unfair?' Honestly, Trice, you think way too much."

But now, I find myself falling into a daze, over-thinking again.

What if... what if the little demons had once been the authentic peppy Girl Scout Troop 333 Mini-Samaritans? But then, after the death of their parents, they had slowly evolved into Grade A serial killers? I mean, three joint murders? Someone either has to be really mad, or really messed up, to do something so psychotic.

"Five minutes remain in your exam," Mrs. Potts announces at the front of the desk, her stern voice penetrating my what-ifs train of thought.

Quickly jotting down B on my answer sheet, I rescan my answers hurriedly, and, for once in my freshman year, science and I are finally getting along. Sure, I got high marks in my other classes, sometimes higher than everyone else, but science? Well, let's just say I'm lucky I wasn't expelled that one time for blowing up Ms. Brown's new perm in chemistry.

Sitting back, it feels nice to watch everyone tear at their hair while they struggle with the questions, turning to stare at me in awe that I finished with even a few minutes to spare.

"Stop. Pass your tests forward face-down," Mrs. Potts announces finally, jerking me out of my uneasy snooze.

Checking my watch quickly, I whoop silently. School's out in less than thirty seconds! Drumming my fingers on my desk in anticipation, I'm reminded of that weird High School Musical antic, where they're all chanting like mindless zombies, who, instead of moaning for brains, are all hyped up about summer. Which is kinda awkward, unless they're like, "Yea-uh, more brains at the beach!"

The bell's discordant clanging startles me. Screams smother me, and my ears suffer trauma from wails escaping the drama queens bidding farewell to their 'BFFs'. Stupid---teenage---girls. I grit my teeth and try to fight the pain engulfing me, the loss passing through me like a ghost, and the regret, filling my core to the brim.