Everything was silent.

Too silent...

Perry growled up at her teacher as she finished the race, the growling came from the fact her teacher wasn't paying attention to the race. Obviously he underestimated the class. No matter the teacher looked down and raised an eyebrow.

"Wow, you guys are getting faster," he lent down, "you never know Perry, you could become one of the best hunters if you keeps this up. No-one could ever defeat you." He chuckled mockingly.

Shooting up, Perry grabs Liz and slams him to the floor, "T-this is our vill- Liz?" Clearly still thinking the fight was here. She backs off and looks around. The sun was just peaking through the small gaps in the trunks of the tree.

"They knocked you out, I needed to get you out of there," Liz made a slow attempt forward in order to check Perry's head.

Perry's eyes widened as she realized what she had done. She had abandoned a fight. Before Liz had the time to react Perry had jumped out of the ditch and started heading for the village. Liz scrambled to keep up with her.

The forest noises had gone back to normal. The birds were chirping, trying to protect their territory, much more aggressive than common belief. The deer herd was grazing peacefully around the village, while the sun shone down through the leaves of the trees.

Perry was by the outskirts of the village with in minutes, her determination drove her forward. Upon entering the village everything seemed surreal. Everyone was lay unnaturally still, the flies and scavengers already making a claim. The snapping of twigs under Perry's knees startled the scavengers as they ran off. Shaking she looked around, unsure of what to do. She had failed. She was meant to protect the village. She was meant to save them or be the first to lose.

Liz ran up next to her, his hand covered his mouth, "no..." There were bodies lay everywhere, most were adults, villagers - friends - some where those of the young. The cruelty of the event was clear to anyone. In among the vast amount of villagers were a few fallen invaders. The hunters and adults had put up a fight. That much was clear.

As Perry clenched her fists Liz rushed around trying to find any sign of this not being real. Of any survivors. He spoted his class, all the children in the village. They were huddled together, all limp on the floor. "no... This... This..."

A small bundle of ginger hair stuck out from the pile of bodies, Leo... He was the class clown, always brought a smile to everyone's day. Sometimes it would be making fun of the others. Sometimes it was making a fool of himself. Sometimes he made comments to the class as Liz was teaching. No matter how he did it he always made the school fill with laughter. Liz had always enjoyed Leo's antics even if they disrupted his learning. 6 winters was far too short of a life. He had only just got his name. He wanted to be a teacher - like Liz.

A rod was sticking out of Gerry's forehead. Her position in front of the group clearly showed she was trying to protect them. She had the potential to become one of the greatest hunters, even rival Perry. She was strong, determined, and courageous. Now... She had nothing. She was nothing. Even her memory would eventually fade.

Liz's head fell as he let the tears roll down his cheeks, they were all gone. All of them.

A hand gently rested on Liz's shoulder.

"W-we need to leave," Perry helped him up.

"But... What about the village? The children? Your parents?" His voice was broken and void of any joy.

"It...It is not s-safe here," Perry looked around for a safe place to go. She refused to let herself be caught off guard again, Liz needed her to stay strong.