Chapter one - unusual lunar activity

It was a dull Wednesday afternoon in October. The dark grey clouds covered the sky and the air smelled of rain. As Nate and Alison sat at their desks, bored out of their ever-loving minds due to the teacher's painfully boring lecture, Nate slid a note onto Alison's desk. It was a bit crumbled but she unfolded it and it read: Meet me in the observatory at 6:30. This was unusual because Nate never invited her to the observatory during weekdays.

"It must be urgent." She thought as she mindlessly fiddled with her pencil. She wondered what could possibly be so important that Nate would have to invite her to their hideout on a weekday. A Wednesday at that. During the week he usually would never have had time to go to the observatory as he'd be busy in his dorm with homework. That night, the two met up in the observatory.

"Ally this is very important. I've brought you here to show you something incredibly peculiar and you have to keep it a secret from everyone. And I mean everyone. No exceptions." She could hear the seriousness in the tone of his voice.

"Okay." she said. Nate grabbed her hand and pulled her over to a telescope.

"Look." He said. "Do you see that blinking star?" he asked.

"Yes but Nate it's probably just a satellite." The star stopped blinking. Then the one next to it began to blink. Then there was a perfect circle of stars...or whatever they were, blinking in unison. "They can't possibly be satellites!" Alison thought. Then, in the center of the circle, a green star appeared. Alison had a look of fear and disbelief on her face as she watched the lights continue their strange activity. Then all of them just stopped blinking and disappeared. Alison was so shocked she could barely speak. "W-what...how long has this been going on??" she stuttered.

"Exactly 12 weeks." Nate said calmly.

"How can you be so calm about this, Nate?! For all we know, aliens or some other unworldly force is going to dominate Earth and we'll all be finished!"

she had fear in her voice as she spoke. She sounded as if she were about to cry. She wanted to cry, but not in front of Nate.

"Ally, I showed you this so that you'll help me figure out what it is. It definitely can't be satellites."

"no shit sherlock!" she blinked back tears. Nate was about to speak, but then there was a flash of white light that lit up the whole sky. Then everything went black.