Chapter 1

Gazing down at my book I took in every word. Turning each page slowly, making sure I had processed each and every word. I sipped at my coffee and sunk back into the park bench, still reading. It was hot here in Brazil. Really hot. I was not used to any form of hot weather being from Wales, so this was all new to me. In fact, most things here were completely knew to me. It was like a completely different life, which was exactly what I wanted to tell the truth. I had left behind a lot of things back in Wales, things that I'd rather not dwell on. Just as I was in deep thought I heard male shouts and I felt something collide with my head, knocking me sideways. My book fell out of my hand onto the grass beneath the bench I was sat on and my coffee spilled all over my dress, burning me in the process. I quickly pulled myself up, slightly dazed. Everything had gone blurry and I was able to see two pairs of legs making their way towards me through my dizziness.
"Are you okay, miss?" I heard a voice say through a thick Brazilian accent.
"I'm so sorry" apologised another Brazilian voice, "I didn't see you there. I'm sorry the ball hit you." He sounded embarrassed but sincere.
"Uh, its okay" I finally managed to say. My vision had become clear and I was finally able to see the two strangers standing in front of me without the blurriness. Two men in football kits, one with short dark brown hair and a shy smile and the other with wild curly hair and a warm and kindly face.
"I'm David" the one with curly hair introduced himself, "and this is Oscar" he said indicating the guy next to him.
"I'm really sorry the ball hit you" Oscar apologised again, retrieving the ball from next to me.
"Yeah" David said, "Oscar has awful aim. The goal was in the complete opposite direction to you!"
"Hey!" pouted Oscar, "my aim isn't that bad!" I could immediately tell how close these two guys were.
"Well, its fine" I said, "I'm Brianna by the way. I only recently moved here."
"Nice to meet you, Brianna" said David, "we have to get back to training but we'll hopefully see you around again!" Oscar then handed me back my book which he had picked up for me.
"Thanks" I said, "so I'm sure I'll see you guys around. I've been here quite a few times. It's my favourite spot here, it's so beautiful."
"I agree" Oscar told me, "its the perfect place for training too." After we had said our goodbyes, Oscar and David were on their way leaving me dazzled and smiling with a cold, wet coffee stain still on my dress.
(*)
I was at my new home watching an old episode of Catchphrase when the telephone began ringing. I was curious as to who it could be as no one I personally knew where I was and that was for the best. I walked down the corridor and picked the phone up and held it to my ear.
"Hello" I said down the line, "who's calling?"
"I know where you are Brianna" said a deep and sinister sounding voice. It sent shivers down my spine and I suddenly felt uneasy. My hand began to shake as I struggled to hold the phone up to my ear. "You can't escape from your past forever Brianna."
"Who the fuck is this?" I shouted down the phone. I was beginning to cry but I didn't want the person on the end of the line to know the fear I was feeling.
"Oh Brianna, you know who I am" replied the voice on the other end with a dark chuckle, "we'll be seeing each other very soon anyway. I'll see you then."
"I'm phoning the police, I'll give them your number. Who the fuck are y-" I was cut off by the line going dead. The called had not left their number, he or she was completely untraceable. I ran to the door and locked it, unsure of what to do.
I was scared. I had no one to turn to here in Brazil. Or did I? No Brianna, that's nuts. You barely know them.