I situated myself beside him, taking notice of how close his knee was to mine now that I was sitting. A charge zipped through the inches separating us, causing a smile to twist at the corners of my lips. I loved being close to him.

"Actually, I'm starved. I think I'm going to order a burger and fries."

"All right," he said before resting his elbows on the counter. His tone seemed off.

Had he not expected to buy me dinner when he'd offered to meet up here? It was late; maybe he didn't think dinner was an option after nine o'clock. "You don't have to buy it."

"No, it's fine. I don't mind."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. I didn't ask you out so you could buy your own food." He winked.

Lilly cleared her throat, drawing my attention back to her. I'd forgotten she was standing there. Her blue eyes were fixed on me, and there was a pad of paper on the counter in front of her. Her pen was poised, ready to take my order. "So, you want a burger and fries?"

"Yeah, thanks," I said. Just because I didn't like the way she'd seemed so chummy with Alec didn't mean I was going to go out of my way to be mean to her. Especially not in front of him.

"And what do you want on it?" Lilly asked as she scribbled my order down with jerky movements. She didn't want to talk to me. I could sense it. Did she have a thing for Alec? Of course she did. Why else would she have been flirting with him the way she had when I walked in?

"Everything except mayo and onion."

"Anything to drink?"

I wanted the milkshake Alec had mentioned, but figured I'd better go with water instead. It would make my meal cheaper. I'd buy myself a milkshake before I left tonight, though.

"Water, please."

"And what about you? Can I get you anything?" Lilly asked Alec. Her entire demeanor had changed now that she was speaking to him.

"I'll take some fries and a refill on my sweet tea," Alec said, oblivious to her cutesy smile.

"You got it." Lilly grinned wider as she gripped his cup and then turned to place our order.

"Sorry I'm late," I said as soon as she'd disappeared. "My Gran needed to talk to me about some family stuff." It wasn't a total lie.

Alec leaned closer. His knee brushed against mine, and I swore the area of my skin had never been more alive than it was right now.

"Everything okay?" he asked. Genuine concern flared through his brown eyes.

"Yeah, everything's fine." I leaned against the counter, careful not to move my legs so his knee would remain pressed against mine. "So, how long have you been sitting here chatting with Lilly?" I hated the way jealousy dripped from my words, but I couldn't control it. I hadn't enjoyed seeing him talking with her, and the smiles on both of their faces had killed me.

"Not long, and you don't have anything to worry about," he said as he placed a hand on my thigh. My heart kicked into overdrive at the unexpected movement. "I came here to see you, not her."

While his words were reassuring, the image of the two of them laughing would forever be burned into my memory. Normally, I'd say I wasn't the jealous type, but the situation rubbed me the wrong way. Or maybe it was the approaching full moon and what it might mean that had me looking for things to unleash my frustration and fears on.

Lilly came back with my water and Alec's sweet tea refill. She set our glasses in front of us and then shifted her attention to me. "I forgot to ask if you wanted lemon, and you didn't specify. I can get you one if you want, though."