CHAPTER 12

Finally deciding on a pair of jeans that make my butt look great, an earthy green tank, ( I've been told it's my color) and braiding my hair into a loose fishtail, I went into Mom and Luke's room to use their full length mirror. Luke popped his head out from the walk in closet, wearing a goofy grin along with a light blue tie over a white button down. He raised his eyebrows as he said,

"You clean up nice. Who's the boy?" I gave him a look, and tried to keep from blushing. Luke had this way of seeing right through me. I ignored his question, and held up the two pairs of sandals I was trying to decide between. Luke pointed to the brown strappy pair, and with a wink, returned to the closet.

***

My wardrobe mostly consisted of Nike shorts and t-shirts, so me in jeans was kind of abnormality. I got lots of praise from Becca, who was always trying to advance my style, and even Oliver commented on my outfit.

"For me? You should've have." I laughed. Just like every morning, Oliver, Becca and I were loitering in the hallway, taking advantage of every last second before school started and we were forced into the relentless day.

50 minute period of whatever subject. 4 minute passing period used to get your brain ready for the next whatever subject. 50 minute period of whatever subject. Repeat.

The only part of my day that I actually looked forward to was lunch. Lunch, because as juniors, we were allowed to leave campus to eat, and that was nice. There were even some nearby restaurants that gave students at Alaska High free lunch if you showed them your ID. Chipotle included. Big win.

Now, incase you are confused, I don't live in Alaska. They named our high school after some chic who supposedly donated a lot of money to education in the small town of Norman, Colorado.

Before my mom and I moved to Norman, we lived in a big noisy city in upper New York where horns were always honking and you saw a new person on the street everyday. Now, I have to turn on my radio at night because I can't fall asleep without noise, and every single human being in this town knows exactly who I am and where my mom and I came from.

Every teenage girl fantasizes about living in a small town where everyone knows everyone and all the kids ride their bikes everywhere, unless of course, you live in a small tow where everyone knows everyone and all the kids ride their bikes everywhere.

Then, all that small town stereotype crap fades away real quick.