45 - Backed Into A Corner

Start from the beginning

Together we collected our forgotten bags and headed towards the nearest exit. My fingertips threaded through Peter Parker's immediately, just wanting to hold onto something. He sent a little look in my direction but didn't smile or even attempt to offer any words of guidance. There was a heavy blanket of doubt and fear and everything else hanging over the four of us suddenly. We were quite literally entering the lion's den and it could end horribly. 

*** 

The Osborn mansion was eerie when we arrived that afternoon. The massive wooden doors were cracked open when we heaved ourselves up the staircase. Inside was weirdly dark and silent. We waited in the foyer for a long moment, debating what to do next. Usually, a butler greeted us at the door and house keepers hurried around the fancy place. But today, it was quiet and abandoned. A thin layer of dust coated the banister and heavy curtains had been drawn shut. This was definitely strange. 

"I like what he's done with the place." Ned commented. 

Gwen glared at him. "A joke? Really?"

He just shrugged with her question. "I kinda' panic in creepy or somewhat stressful situations."

I glanced over my shoulder at the pair. "It's true."

We continued deeper into the mansion, eyes sweeping the place for any sign that Harry Osborn himself was hiding inside. Gwen had pulled out her phone, using it as a flashlight but not finding anything useful. Once it was clear nobody was downstairs we filed up the staircase, our shoes leaving a pitter patter sound on the marble. When we reached the landing, Peter squared his shoulders. "Okay, let's split up. We can cover more ground that way."

"You realise that's what they say in horror films before the creepy killer picks us off one by one?" I found myself whispering out loud. Ned sent me a terrified look and Gwen inched closer towards him when a strange sound echoed through the dark mansion. "I'll got with Pete."

Ned blew some air out of his cheeks. "That's not remotely fair. Why do you get the strapping young hero that's more than capable of actually fighting back if something goes wrong?"

Peter was hanging his shoulders, not really in the mood for his friend's particular train of thought right now. Gwen poked Ned in the ribcage, her cheeks flaming. "You don't think a girl is capable of being her own hero?" she demanded and pulled out her handy pepper stray from her purse. "Come on, Leeds, if the big bag villain comes to kill you, you can stand behind me and squeal." 

The pair headed down the right corridor, Ned mumbling something about not meaning it like that, and we headed towards Harry's bedroom which indeed led towards his lair. Peter had suited up before and now took the lead. I followed behind him, my heart racing in my chest. "Can Karen sweep the place and locate him? Is that something she can do?" I asked, my gaze cutting across the dark bedroom. 

"We don't need a locator," he answered coldly. "My Spidey senses are going crazy. He's here."

His words had my own hairs sticking up on the back of my neck, a strange chill working into the room. In the gloomy room I could barely make out the difference between a shadow and a bookshelf and it had my mind playing tricks. "Are you sure? Nobody is in here. Maybe--"

Something cold touched my arm suddenly, my heart skipping a beat. A looming voice sounded in my ear. "A little jumpy, aren't we, Parsons?"

Harry Osborn's voice sounded different, almost sinister and it made my stomach twist. I jumped around, ready to find him grinning horribly behind me but nobody was there. My eyes reached for Peter in the darkness, who motioned for me to stay still. He stepped into the centre of the room, shoulders stiff and head held high. "We aren't here to play mind games, Harry. We just need to talk. There's things you need to know."