Chapter 2

"He only needed four stitches but he woke up right when I started - that was all the racket," I faintly heard Darry explain to me as I gasp at the sight of him. He looked broken but still like he was trying to hold it all together. His eyes met mine and he tried to give me a small smile but stopped with a wince of pain. But the message still got across "yea this sucks but it'll get better"
"Well look who it is! Ain't seen this little lady since well before you were a lady!" Sodapop threw his arm across my shoulders with a wide grin that I couldn't help but reciprocate taking in his handsome movie star looks that had girls in school jealous of me for being so close to him.
"That's my grandma Kitty Cat you're talkin to!" Two-Bit screamed not looking up from Micky that was playing on TV, I guess Darrel let him turn it on again.
"Kieth Mathews how many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?" I heard him mumble something about me not calling him that but I pay no mind to him, he's not even lookin at me. "It makes me sound like a greasy tramp. And Sodapop to answer your unspoken question I've been workin." I stand a little taller and look him in the eye. "Miss Louise, the one I've been selling to for years, she gave me a position as a seamstress at her boutique and still let's me sell my own designs, but now I get more for it. She's real nice for lettin me work while in school and gives me lots of hours after school and on the weekends but I have just about every Sunday off now, she's cuttin down the closer to winter we get, and I'll be able to cook you and the gang dinner then how bout that?" I reach up to try to mess up his hair like I used to when I was younger but he ducked out of the way real quick. Before their parents passed I was over with Mrs. Curtis often where she would teach me how to cook and do other house hold things - things my own mama never taught me and I would never dare ask. And after their passing I would come over as often as I can and make dinner like how she would, anything to help them especially Darry who became even more serious since not that anyone can blame him.
Dallas was giving me some side eye probably wondering why I didn't tell the group my plan. Well the answer to that is simple : I don't want to. I've sat on this for so long that they don't need to know, and when they do I'll get pity looks and pity help. It's bad enough Dallas knows but I don't need Two-Bit stealing even more to try to help me save or Darrel or Steve to try to help pay with me when lord knows they need it more than I. No, no I got it handled. Besides it's not fool-proof yet. Once it is I'll break it to them and they'll help me with my parents and moving all my stuff.
"That sounds like a fine plan Miss Cade, I'll leave money for you and Sodapop to go shopping for whatever you need," Darrel said nodding looking at Ponyboy whose whole face lit up with anticipation making Darrel's face upturn just a bit.
"Well," I look down smoothing out my skirt and blouse, " if you're feelin any better now Johnnycake, we ought get home before it gets too dark. Unless you want to stay, either way I better get going, it won't look proper for me to be leavin too late from a house full of men."
"I think imma stay Cath, I'm already comfortable, why get up?" he said lookin up at me with a small smile.
"Well alright then," I went over and kissed his non-stitched cheek which he tried to wiggle out of and after turned bright red mumbling about embarrassing sisters. "I'll be on my way, I'll see all y'all on Sunday." I gave a slight wave and turned my heal out of there.
Just as I was on the bottom step of the porch I heard the screen door open again. I saw Dally's tall and skinny frame coming after me pulling out a cigarette and falling in line with me.
"You ain't walking home alone this late, 'specially not tonight" he said lighting it with his white lighter. "You ain't tell them 'case it falls through yea?"
"Yea. Not even Johnny, can't get his hopes up."
"Smart."
Nothing was said for a while as he finished his cigarette. As he was stomping out the bud I looked up at him, the street lamps were making his face look even more angular.
"See somethin you like doll?" He said smirking, a look I've seen him use on many girls to try to pick them up.
"Just noticing your Christopher is gone again, gave Sylvia another go?" I said rolling my eyes.
"Yea, wouldn't stop pestering me. 'Sides she ain't to bad to look at or have around. Knows how to cuss and drink, just like how I like my greasy broads." He stuffed his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket. "Hmph, man if I didn't know where you lived and were from I'd probably think you'd be a middle classer, a watcher, 'specially the way you dress, damn Cath are you wearin a skirt on a Friday?"
I looked down to what I was wearing. I mean, yea most greaser girls are all about jeans or cigarette pants, and i like them too, but i love my skirts that make me feel strong and feminine and i also love keeping up with modern fashion as much as i can. Now obviously I have no money to buy new clothes or anything but I make them, either from scratch or out of some old clothes I get. I mend all of mine and Johnny's clothes, even some of the Curtis' after their parents passed. I'll bring my stuff on Sunday to do that actually... yea that'll be good so they don't have to worry about new clothes.
"I'll have you know Dallas Winston I made this skirt and I'm quite proud of it."

Word count : 1079