Chapter 8 - The Curse

Start from the beginning

(You guys can go to 'Chapter 3' if you are wondering how the barrier jewel is like)

Ariette glared at Rose. Rose —> 😬

Ariette: "Where is the jewel, Rose?"

Rose: "I-I umm..."

Rose's palms started to get sweaty.

Ariette: "Where is it?!"

Rose hesitated for a bit but she finally screamed it out.

Rose: "I LOST IT!!"

Ariette's eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

Ariette: "W-What?! You lost the entire jewel?!"

Rose looked down on the floor and played with her fingers.

Rose: "I-It was my fault...I dropped it in the open ocean while escaping from a shark...I'm sorry..."

Ariette sighed and walked up to Rose. She place her hands on Rose's shoulders and bend down to Rose's eye level.

Ariette: "Rose, you know what will happen if the jewel gets in the wrong hands. The Kingdom will be exposed and someone would actually try to capture all the mermaids!"

Rose's eyes started to get teary again, knowing all the troubles she had caused.

Rose: "I-I should have been more careful..."

Ariette wiped away Rose's tears.

Ariette: "Don't worry, Rose. We just need to find it. But for now, I need you to go back home."

Rose lift her head up and looked at Ariette.

Rose: "What?"

Rose was surprised by Ariette's words.

Ariette: "That is what I was trying to tell you from the start! Rose, I just need you to return to the kingdom."

Ariette took Rose's hand.

Ariette: "Let's go."

Rose: "Wait, no!"

Rose slide her hand out of Ariette's grip.

Rose: "I don't want to leave...yet.."

Ariette turned to Rose.

Ariette: "But Rose! You have to go back to the ocean!"

Rose was confused.

Rose: "Why?! Why is it so important for me to become a Mermaid again?!"

Ariette: "IF YOU DONT, YOUR HEART WILL STOP BEATING!"

Ariette quickly covered her mouth. Rose was speechless.

Rose: "W-What...what do you mean my heart will stop..?"

Ariette took in a deep breath and tried to calm down. She then responded.

Ariette: "Rose, a mermaid's heart can't last long on land. That is why we always stay in the sea. It keeps us alive. I apologise for not telling you earlier but I thought I didn't need to, since we were going to stay in the castle for the rest of our lives..."