Chapter 6

The wolf up above is absolutely gorgeous!!

"Something is off with your dog," hollered Heidi.

Faye looked up from where she was making herself a little bit of coffee with a lot of sugar and cream. Her shift was almost over and she glanced up at the clock on the wall as it hit 5:00. It had been a pretty slow day. Only five people had come into the bookshop all day.

"What'd you mean?" she hollered back.

Faye finished making her coffee and headed towards the back of the shop. Heidi bent worriedly over Wolfie who lay whimpering on the floor.

"I think he's dreaming," Said Heidi sounding concerned.

Faye set her coffee mug down with furrowed brows, worried for her Wolfie. The bell rang at the front of the shop and Heidi sighed. "Of course someone would come in right at closing," she muttered, moving towards the counter in the front.

"Need help?" Asked Faye sitting down beside her wolf.

"Nah, I got this," answered Heidi, "I'll see you tomorrow, honey. Go ahead and go home."

Faye shrugged and soothingly stroked Colin's fur. "Easy, Wolfie," she said softly, "I got ya."

"Mathair, no, please!"

Colin walked slowly, back stiff as he listened to his sister plead for him. Caterina was a tender-hearted little thing, a decade his junior. The bond between them was strong, perhaps because out of all his siblings, they were the closest in age. Martha and William Byrd had five boys before Caterina arrived; small, pink, loud, and all female. She was their last child and spoiled without a fault.

"Rina," he said gruffly, "Quiet. 'Tis not their choosing."

A sniffle met his ears from where she walked behind him with their mother. Colin knew his parents had no choice in their decision. He was a danger to them all. Already, his wolf was so volatile, for the past few weeks, he had been chained in the basement.

The chains rattled around his wrists and ankles as he continued walking, briefly feeling thankful for the soft wind against his face. His frame was gaunt, pale skin stretched over bones. Stringy, blonde hair and beard hid his face from view as he trudged, following his father, who led the way. His four older brothers brought up the rear solemnly, those having mates and pups leaving them back at the house.

If Colin had his way, they would have all stayed behind save for his father. But then, ideally, if Colin had his way, he would be curled up in bed with his mate instead of marching down a mountain to be executed by his own father. Adrian, Benjamin, David, and had all found their mates within the normal time frame. Why was he different?

His wolf was silent for the moment, the first reprieve he had had in months. His mother had injected him with a small amount of Caochladh earlier which effectively silenced his wolf for a few hours. They wanted to say goodbye. Colin knew that without the juice of the Caochladh flowing through his veins, he would be reduced to nothing more than a snarling rabid dog.

He was pulled from his thoughts when Caterina sidled up beside him, sliding her hand into his. Tears streamed her small face as she tried to be brave.

"Och, nae," began Colin, trying to smile, "We canna 'ave this. Smile, piuthar bheag."

She choked on a sob and leaned her head on his arm. "I dinna ken how," she said brokenly.

"Like this," and Colin tried to smile.

The effect must have been more of a grimace, for Caterina giggled before crying again. They continued that way down the mountain.