The Murphy Case

This is Part One of this short story. I hope y'all like and give some feedback, along with a vote or two :)

I was walking with Maggie Lawson, the girl of my dreams. Her silky, red hair fell in waves that shimmered all the way down her back. Her deep blue eyes sparkled even in the dark night. She had pale red lips and freckles that painted her pale face. The moonlight casted a strange yet beautiful glow on her skin.

We were at the end of our first date. I was kicking myself for not asking her out sooner. This had been one of the best nights I've ever had. I hoped that she felt the same. We went to a Chinese restaurant and then to a movie that he let her pick. Now I was walking her home, our hands intertwined. My heart was about to beat out of my chest. Please, don't let my hands be sweaty, I prayed.

"Did you like the movie?" I asked, nervously. I hadn't been nervous until this moment.

"It was really good. I'm glad we saw it together." Maggie said, smiling. I smiled, feeling my nerves erase completely. We continued walking, talking about our favorite parts of the movie. I felt captivated by her words and her cute, little laugh. Just as I was about to answer one of her questions, a twig snapped from behind, making us both jump. We turned around to see what caused the startling noise.

In the faint light, I saw the outline of a mountain like man. Strangely he looked familiar. An angry scar was over his left, beady eye. Tattoos covered his hairy arms. In the pit of my stomach, I felt fear start to bubble up.

"Let's go." I whispered to Maggie. She nodded, tightening her grip around my hand. We turned around from this strangely familiar
man and tried to get away from him as quickly as possible. The man grabbed him from behind. I let go of Maggie, hoping that she would run and get help. She did the exact opposite. She tried to get him to loosen his grip of me. She clumsily threw punches that didn't seem to effect this giant.

"Help," Maggie screamed. "Someone help us." The man threw me on the ground, leaving me breathless, and grabbed Maggie. He pulled out a needle from his pocket and plunged into exposed skin on her arm. She stopped fighting and screaming. Her eyes lost focused until they eventually fell closed along with her body.

"Maggie," I cried out. I climbed back to my feet and starting fighting the large man with a new found courage. But my courage couldn't fight the substance in the second needle that was pulled out. My body grew heavy almost instantly along with my eyelids until I just fell to the ground, blacking out.

My head was throbbing. I didn't want to open my eyes. All I wanted to do was fall back asleep. It hurt to think, to breathe. Everything that had happened in the park was foggy. Maggie. Where was she? Was she okay? I opened my eyes.

I was in a small, windowless room. They only light that came into this room came from under the small crack of the door. I rolled over onto my stomach and peered under the door. It took a minute for my eyes to adjust from the dim light and the blurriness from the drugs.

A table was in the middle of the room. A man and woman were sitting at the table. The man looked at the door I was behind. My heart stopped for a moment and then restarted again once he looked away. The woman had to be Maggie. From her slumped figure, she was still drugged. But, who was that man.

I thought back as far as I could. Did I see him at the store? Maybe the movies? Or the Chinese restaurant? No, it wasn't any of those places. It was recent though. Ugh, how could I not remember this? It was right on the tip of my tongue. Was he a friend of my dad's?

Wait, that was it! He wasn't a friend of my dad's though. My dad was a criminal attorney and he was working on a case against a man named Franklin Murphy, who killed fourteen people. His brother, Theodore Murphy, was accused of being an accomplice to the murders but was found guilty. My dad and most everybody else thought he wasn't innocent. That man was Theodore Murphy.