Chapter 2

I sat at the table across from John and Linda Westbrooke in silence with only the ticking of the clock. Koby and Jack still haven't arrived home from school and it was 5:30pm. I heard the slam of the door and Jack walked into the room, threw his bag on the ground and plopped down on the chair beside me... He studied his parents faces and got up and put his bag in the front closet. The Westbrooke's apartment wasn't the biggest apartment but it was doable. It was a cozy set up with all they needed. A kitchen, dinning room, three bedrooms, bathrooms and a living area. Jack sat back down but this time he was playing on his phone. The timer went off on the stove and Linda and John got up to get the food. After waiting a few minutes I got up and offered my help in the kitchen and I was told to bring the chicken out on the table. I did what I was told. After bringing out all the food out and on the table, we sat there, in silence again, waiting for Koby.

After waiting a whole ten minutes the front door slammed once again and I could hear walking coming towards the dinning room.. "Mom, Dad! I need a new tennis rack-" Koby said coming into the kitchen. "Shit..." she swore and hid the racket behind her back. The whole top part was broken off.

"What where you doing?" I asked jokingly. "Concentrating hard?"

"Yeah! That's what I was doing!" she said unconvincingly scratching the back of her neck. She walked back into the hall, she reappeared a minute later. "Lets eat!"

**********

Half way through dinner there was a banging at the door and gunshots fired. We all swore. "They found us, lets go! Grab the files and then out our bedroom window!" John whispered to us. Koby and Jack did as they said and John and Linda pushed me to their room. Koby and jack where already there with backpacks on climbing out the window. Where we that slow? Once the two siblings where out the window it was my turn to go. I went to the side and climb on the fire escape and down the stair to the alleyway. Linda was after me then it was John. I was pushed into their car and we drove off.

"Where are we going?" I asked "and why am I with you?" their was no reply. I looked at Koby and she gave me a sympathetic smile. I sighed and sat back. I closed my eyes and tried to relax. It was hard to because I was stuck in the hump if the car.

"We don't know where we are going, we never do." Jack whispered to me. "You can't go back. Your not safe anymore."

"Why?" I asked. The two siblings looked at each other and then at Linda and she nodded.

"You are with the mob." The three of them said together. I didn't have time to react because I was knocked out cold by Koby's elbow.