Introduction

It was Election Day in New York State. Nick Borgia was up against New York City Mayor, John Roosevelt. Nick and his wife, Nicole, sat on a table as they watched the results on the tv. Nick's children and staff watched behind them. There were balloons and champagne bottles at the ready, it was a very close election. The polls were almost 50/50.
The news channel brought up the news anchor as he said, "The results for the election are in." The entire scene was quiet as they waited in suspense. "The governor of New York State will be...John Roosevelt."
Nicole quickly picked up the remote and pressed the off button. She then dropped the remote and placed her hands on his shoulder. Everyone in the room looked at him.
How could I have lost that election? Nick got up from the table as everyone else stays frozen in time. Nick begins walking around the room. Now I know that you do not know me but still, I fought tooth and nail for that election. It was the closest that a republican got to winning the position in four decades. Yes I know, a republican in New York? I have something that Roosevelt does not have, and that is charisma.
He walks over to a table full of closed champagne bottles and pop one open. Now let me introduce myself. I am Nick Borgia, Mayor of Buffalo for the past five years. In that time I have reduced taxes and crime and had the economy booming. That son of a bitch in Manhattan created bigger problems in New York. He says that if he won he might appoint me as his lieutenant governor. As of now, it is between me and that feminist of a mayor in Rochester. I know he will pick me, the Mayor of Rochester is too much of a risk. Don't worry, Nick Borgia always comes on top. The only thing you must think about is am I talking about this in the present or am I reminiscing in the past, already knowing what will happen? I am an enigma.
He took a sip of his champagne and placed it on a nearby table. He then walked over to where his wife was and sat where he once was as the people became unfrozen. Nick looked at Nicole and brushed a clump of hair away from in front of her face and to behind her ear.