Chapter Five: A Surprise For Supper

Start from the beginning

"Well, I can tell. It has rubbed off on you! Listen to yourself, you speak in riddles." Marilla chuckled.

"I'm sorry, Marilla. I'm just very tired and confused."

Matthew cleared his throat. "So, Anne. How's uh, Gilbert?" He piped in, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

Anne's eyes darted to him, quite a bit shocked. It was as if he can sense that Gilbert was a part of Anne's current dilemma.

"W-why are you asking me?" She asked.

"Well, you go to school with him. How is he coping, you know, with his loss and all. I mean, I know it's been a year since John Blythe's passing but,"

Marilla tensed at the mention of John Blythe's name.

"Still, he must feel awfully lonesome."

Anne felt awfully foolish for thinking it was something about her. "Oh," She muttered.

"Well, I think he's doing just fine. He's performing exceedingly well, academically speaking, but nothing I can't handle." She said proudly.

Matthew smiled. "Be sure to give him my kindest regards."

"You can count on it, Matthew." Anne replied, but she felt unsure. She didn't want to further involve herself with Gilbert but for Matthew, she will, and must.

"That boy has grown into quite a ravishing young lad, hasn't he? And he's notably kind to dear Anne here." Marilla said to Matthew, a small smirk evident on her face.

"Really, now?" Matthew smugly asked, turning to Anne.

"Yes, so kind that he must follow me around and pester me all day." She snarkily replied.

Both Marilla and Matthew laughed at this.
"Tell me, Anne. Has he asked someone to the ball already?" Marilla inquired.

Anne perked up at the mention of the ball. "Why, yes he has. He's going to ask Ruby. Now that you've mentioned the ball, may I ask, and please you must know that it would be satisfactory to me if you would agree to this request, though I do admit I undoubtedly dislike social gatherings, it is one of my highest ideals of earthly bliss to go to a ball and enter royally, descending slowly down the stairs as every pair of eyes are on me. That's a strange thing about me though, I hate being scrutinized but I love the attention and-"

"Oh, dear heavens child, just spit it out." Marilla cut her off.

Anne took a deep breath. It's worth a shot.
"All I want to ask is...May I go to the winter's ball tomorrow evening?" She asked in a sweet, hopeful tone.

All three of them sat in silence, Marilla and Matthew looked at each other as if communicating through their gazes. After what felt like eternity, Marilla finally spoke.

"No."

Anne's face fell. She felt as if her soul had been crushed into a million tiny pieces. Tears started to sting her eyes when Marilla spoke again.

"Not without this."

Anne looked up, a droplet of tear had already slipped out but now she was intrigued.

Marilla went into the living room and Anne looked at Matthew who only smiled at her as he drank his cordial.
Marilla soon came back, now carrying a large white box with a red bow that tied the lid shut. It looked exactly like the box that her first puffed sleeved dress had been in, but she unfortunately had to sell it due to Matthew's health predicament and their debts.

She took a sharp, inward breath and stood up. She came closer to Marilla, who set the box down on the dining table. "Go ahead." Marilla warmly smiled. Anne felts tears stinging her eyes once more, a lump in her throat was starting to rise.
She felt overwhelmed with this unexpected present.
She felt the smooth, silk ribbon against her trembling fingers and gently pulled it, and watched it unravel. She held her breath and lifted the lid of the carton and gasped. "Oh, Marilla!"
She gasped, her hands flying to cover her mouth. She giggled in tears, and sniffed. "Oh, thank you thank you thank you!" She exclaimed, throwing herself onto Marilla in a tight embrace. She tightly clutched to Marilla's tall and firm figure and breathed her scent in. Smells like home. Anne thought smiling. She pulled away from the hug and looked up at Marilla who was grinning at her. She then looked at Matthew and made her way across the dining table to give him a hug as well. "Oh!" Matthew laughed and groaned at the same time as Anne threw herself onto him, embracing him tightly and feeling his warmth.
"You are the best parents a girl can ever ask for, and I love you both very, very much." She muttered, her face still buried in Matthew's chest.

"Oh, enough with the hug fest, girl. See if your dress fits!" Marilla laughed. Marilla hasn't laughed this much for longer than she'd like to admit. And as Anne smiled and took the dress out of the box, she thought that taking this delightful girl in was the best decision they have ever made.

Anne lifted her dress out the carton and held it up by the sleeves. It was a gorgeous pale blue dress made from the finest silk she had ever seen. It was a white, flowery lace material from the chest to the neck, and was gifted with ever so many flounces and the puffiest sleeves she could ever hope for.

"Thank you." She smiled at the folks, a tear of bliss rolling down her aching cheeks.

That night, Anne went to sleep, thanking the Lord for blessing her with the best parents that every orphan longed for.