‘I might come with, if you don’t mind,’ he said. ‘That sounds like fun.’

‘Sure,’ Laurel said. She got up. ‘I’ll meet you there in a few minutes?’

Will grinned. ‘Definitely.’

She smiled, waved, and turned, walking away, passing Ezra as she went. Will followed her pathway with his eyes, watching the way her hips swayed a little with every step she took, her ponytail bobbing up and down as she moved.

As she left, he looked back at Ezra, who met his eyes with a knowing look, eyebrows raised over his enormous plate of breakfast foods.

‘What?’ Will asked, innocently.

‘You know all too well, William,’ Ezra said, picking up his knife and fork and tucking in.

‘No,’ Will said, stubbornly.

Ezra chewed his mouthful of croissant, and shook his head. ‘Have it your way, then. You’re bloody crazy over that girl, aren’t you?’

‘I…’ Will looked at his plate, using the tip of his finger to absentmindedly rearrange the crumbs. ‘I…’

Ezra looked up at him. ‘Yes then?’

‘She’d never go for me,’ Will sighed. ‘She’s perfect! She wouldn’t want me.’

‘You don’t know that,’ Ezra said kindly, but Will noted a hint of uncertainty in his voice. Will had always known that he wasn’t exactly a ladies’ man, especially not compared to his two unashamedly stunning friends, but it still stung a little.

‘Sometimes girls are quite picky,’ Ezra continued. ‘I mean, they wait for Mr Right, don’t they?’

‘Not all of them,’ Will said, with a cheeky smile. ‘April went out with you, didn’t she?’

Ezra raised his eyes from his food, flicking a bit of scrambled egg at his friend. ‘Leave it, Will.’

Will wiped off the egg. ‘Alright.’ He got up. ‘I’ve gotta go get ready, I’m meeting Laurel at the pool in five.’

Ezra grinned. ‘Time to make a move?’ he asked.

Will gave him a look as he tucked his chair in. ‘I don’t think so.’

‘Grow some balls,’ Ezra said unsympathetically. ‘Can I come too?’

‘I guess,’ Will said. ‘But give me a head start.’

Ezra raised an eyebrow, but, as Will left, focused more intently on his breakfast instead. Though teasing Will about his love life was fun, food was much more appealing, especially when it was an all you could eat buffet. He suddenly remembered April teasing him about eating too much, after they’d both spent ages flipping pancakes one pancake day. He had eaten too many, and he’d had the stomach ache afterwards to prove it, and she’d rubbed his stomach for him, giggling and saying I told you so. The laughter seemed a world away from what they shared now, this awkward, stilted relationship. He sighed, spearing a sausage with his fork. Food over a love life any day, he thought, putting it into his mouth and chewing vigorously.

*

Yawning, Oscar made his way out of his room, hair tousled, trunks already on, and a towel slung over one shoulder. Stopping before the neighbouring door, he knocked lightly.

Morgie opened the door, bleary eyed, her hair ruffled as it fell down her back. ‘Mm?’ she asked, rubbing her eyes.

Oscar grinned. She was dressed in a white tank top and pyjama shorts, her bare feet brown against the cream carpet, toes curling into it. Her cheeks were a little flushed from sleep, and she looked warm and soft and just begging to hugged. His traitorous mind couldn’t help but flicker to imagining what she’d look like emerging from his sheets in the morning, curled up next to him, her soft skin pressed against his, her curves hidden beneath the bed spread. He could just picture it, her hair soft, and tousled over her bare skin, brushing against his, her voice husky. He winced. Not a good idea to think about that, not when she was stood in front of him. Morgie never missed a trick.