11: Sweet Sixteen

Start from the beginning

Their next vacation tour was a Caribbean cruise as present for her 13th birthday. They boarded Oasis of the Seas, a perfect choice. The 5,400-passenger behemoth (along with island-hopping sister ship Allure of the Seas) feels more like a floating resort than a ship. What's more, its Coney Island-style boardwalk; array of restaurants, bars and activities double the fun with two rock-climbing walls and surf simulators made the their one way cruise an unforgettable experience.

Alex enjoyed this with her mother

Alex enjoyed this with her mother. Their bond grew stronger. They held on to each other and there's no perfect time to celebrate their freedom from her controlling father but to spend his money in these fabulous getaways. Sandra taught her how to book flights and hotels. Soon enough, Alex was hooked. She scheduled every Holidays or special weekends to places where they can spend time to chill and enjoy whatever their money can afford.

Not all good things last forever.

The impending doom of losing her mother happened. After coming home from one of her trips, Mr. Wan from Malaysia escorted Sandra home. This made Alex revolt. Not her mother! And what was worse, they already married in Malaysia.

"What will happen to me? I just started high school! I cannot go and pack then leave everything else here to be with you in Malaysia." Alex was crying as she talked with Sandra while Mr. Wan was in Sandra's bedroom sleeping soundly.

"I'm sorry sweetie", Sandra hugged her daughter. "I already called Larry about this and we'll all have a meeting at lunch tomorrow with the lawyers to talk about your welfare." She tucked her daughter in bed and kissed the young girl's forehead whispering 'sweet dreams'.

But there's no sweet dream since then. It was a month- long custody battle and at every hearing Alex realized how her mother lost the chance of winning.

Full custody was granted to her father. Larry had more money and having a clean slate as a businessman, the Judge was on his side. Sandra had a history of alcoholism and depression. This background did not sit well with the judge even if U.S. law usually favors the mother. The only consolation was she can visit her daughter as she pleased.

Her father's new wife did not want Alex to stay with them in Cape May so Alex lived her life alone in New York with Lucy as authorized guardian in the absence of her father. Larry also hired a driver to monitor his daughter's whereabouts. He promised to give his daughter a weekend visit but it did not happen.

Sandra always flew to New York every month for half a year until she stopped and only called Alex stating that she put up a business with her new husband and they're busy.

The poor girl celebrated her 14th birthday for the first time without the presence of either her parents. Lucy bought a cake for her and they had it as dessert at dinner. Sandra invited her to come to Malaysia for a short stay but the girl declined.

What for? You left me too. I better start learning to live alone for the rest of my life.

Shortly after celebrating her 14th birthday, Alex received a call at dawn. Larry was rushed to the hospital when he collapsed after coming home from a friend's party. He was comatose for hours then succumbed to death from cardiac arrest.