Round Four - Green Belt

Prompt : 1

Prompt : 1.2K Mystery/Action Mashup

John

He awoke in an empty room. Boarded up windows blocked the light, but a single dangling light bulb illuminated the room. John groaned and crawled to his feet. Clad only in blue striped boxers, he stared down at his naked torso and froze. Taped to his chest was an envelope. He tugged it loose and held it in his hands. Sliding his finger under the seal, he tore the paper and pulled out the thin sheet of parchment inside.

I am many. I am none.

Who will die? All but one.

He frowned. Was this a joke?

A crash in the hall made him jump. Dropping the letter, he reached for the door and slowly pulled it open a crack.

Run or hide?

Run.

He sprinted down the hall and pounded down a flight of stairs, naked feet slapping against cheap linoleum. There had to be an exit somewhere.

A door on the upper level slammed. Someone was coming.

As he reached the nearest door, he twisted the handle and ducked inside. He barely had the door shut when something struck him hard on the side of the jaw.

"Ow! Motherf--"

John ducked the second blow and caught his assailant by the wrist. They grappled for a moment before he managed to pin them back against the wall. He raised a fist.

"Wait!"

It was a woman.

He waited, but didn't lower his fist.

"Please," she begged, "I don't even know how I got here."

He could feel her trembling beneath his grip. Hesitantly, he released her and lowered his fist.

When she didn't attack him, he said "I'm John."

"Naomi," came the shaky reply.

Sam

He hurried down the hall, watching the doors as he passed them. He thought he'd heard one slam. Nervous, he rubbed at the words inked into the back of his hand.

Rounding a corner he only just stopped short of a shout. The woman in front of him emitted a squeak before clapping a hand over her own mouth.

He eyed the woman warily. Could this frail, mousy woman be a killer? Better not take any chances. He advanced towards her and she backed up.

The creaking of a door behind him made him spin around. A man peeked his head out of a doorway and crept into the hall.

It wasn't until the wall met his face that he realized he had forgotten about the woman behind him.