17. Merry - Request

Start from the beginning

"Maddy, my love..." he croaked, feeling his heart shattering.

He looked at the blood that was dripping from her chest and winced and the sight. He then placed his hands over it, trying to stop the bleeding, but in vain. He knew that she wasn't going to make it, but he didn't want to accept it. He couldn't just let go of her so easily! He loved her too much to do so!

Maddy's eyes were half closed, but she could still see Merry by her side. Smiling weakly, she pulled her hand up trying to caress his cheek. As soon as her hand made contact with his skin, she felt something wet and that made her realize that Merry was crying. The person who has never cried in his life and was only telling jokes and making fun of everything was now crying because of her, and it hurt her.

"M-Merry..." she whispered, her voice cracking. She couldn't talk properly, because of the imense pain she was feeling at that moment. It was both emotional and physical pain, but she didn't know which one was worse.

Maddy was aware of the fact that she was going to die, but she wasn't scared of death... She was scared of leaving Merry! She knew that, if she died, he would suffer and this was the last thing she wished for him.

Merry placed one of his hands over hers, weeping quietly.

"Pl-please, don't leave me! Please, Mad!" he pleaded, hoping that was all a nightmare and his lover was not actually going to die.

Maddy's vision became blurry, both from the tears that have filled her eyes and pain. She didn't know what to do. She wanted to be strong for him, only to see his beautiful smile again, but she knew she wouldn't make it, no matter how much she tried.

"I-I love you s-so much, Merry... and I w-will never stop loving you! N-never forget that, ok?"she said in between gasps, while Merry nodded quickly, squeezing her hand.

"Pr-promise me you will move o-on! Promise me that... that you will be happy and p-please, d-don't cry over me, my love! I'll always be by... by your side, watching you and... and pro-protecting you! I...I-" Before she could have finished, she gasped one last time and closed her eyes, not being able to bare the horrible pain anymore. Her hand would have fallen from Merry's cheek if he hadn't hold it. Seeing her like that, Merry started to panick even more.

"Maddy! M-Maddy, my love! N-no, Maddy, wake up! Please, wake up!" He pleaded, shaking her slightly in attempt to make her open her eyes, but it wasn't worth it... The love of his life was now gone forever...

"Y-you can't leave me just like that...You... You have to wake up, Mad... Please! I... I c-can't live without you! Just...Please open your eyes!"

When she didn't budge and he realized that there was nothing he could do, he leaned his head over her chest and started sobbing. He never thought it would be so hard to let go of someone. In fact, he never thought he was going to care about someone so much!

Maddy has always been there for him, at good and bad times. She showed him what true love is and now... now she was far, far away from him. She was somewhere where he couldn't follow her. Or could he?

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his back, so he looked up slowly, seeing Éowyn. She glanced at Maddy's dead body and sighed.

"I'm so sorry, Merry... She was an amazing person and an even greater friend!" she spoke as Merry nodded and then wiped his tears, trying to regain himself.

"I wanted to ask her to be my wife..." he admitted, drawing Éowyn's attention, while he started caressing Maddy's cold cheek.
"I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her... I wanted to... to wake up with her in my arms every single morning... to make her smile and laugh every second of her life... Whenever she smiled, her eyes would shine like two little diamonds and everything around would seem to get better. Her happiness meant everything to me... I even thought about our children running around the house and annoying her by being naughty, just as any other kids... and I, of course. *chuckles sadly* C-Children who will... never exist, unfortunately. I wanted to hold her, kiss her, always tell her how much I love her... everything! She was my... my entire life! I swore to protect her, but here she is, laying dead on the battle field after she has been stabbed by a Nazgûl filth... My whole life is over now, Éowyn! Without her I'm...I'm nothing! H-How am I supposed to live now?" he paused, closing his eyes and letting a few tears fall. "W-why did this have to happen to her? It should have been me, not her! I... I should have been by her side, to make sure she was safe! This is all my fault!"

"Merry, none of this is your fault... And trust me, I know what you feel! I've just lost someone important too..." Éowyn whispered weakly, as Merry widened his eyes, looking up at her.

"K-King Théoden... Is he dead t-too?" he asked and she nodded, while a tear started going down her cheek, but she quickly wiped it away. 

"I'm so sorry for your loss, my lady..." he sighed, gazing at the ground.

"It's ok, Merry... It just... It just hurts... so much!" she sniffed. "I um... I'll let you be now... I have to check on the other soldiers." she added as she turned around and walked away, feeling empty, hurt and broken.

Merry gazed back at Maddy and kissed her hand, rocking himself back and forth. Sighing deeply, he squeezed her hand tightly, when suddenly, he had an idea.

"I'm not gonna leave you, my sweet! I promised I would never leave you, so... I don't... I don't plan to!" he said, picking his sword up from the ground. Looking at her one more time, he took a deep breath before pushing the sword and stabbing himself. Wincing, he fell next to Maddy, gasping for air. Glancing at her, he smiled weakly and took a hold of her hand, intertwining their fingers.

"Don't worry, my love!" he started, fighting the need to breath. "I'm coming to you..." he paused for a second, his vision becoming blurry. "I love you, Maddy!" With that, he gave his last breath and then slowly closed his eyes, falling into a deep sleep; a sleep that he was never going to wake up from...

The End!

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️