"Sounds nice."

"It's maddening."

The two of us bursted out laughing as we rounded the swimwear aisle.

"So you gotta tell me," Bonnie said, as we started looking through the swimsuits, "What's got you in such a perky mood,"

"What do you mean," I said, holding up a baby-blue one piece.

"Well, you've been humming that Shake, Rattle, and Roll song since we got out of the car, and you've just got this happy smile. So, tell me. Did you and Jack go out late last night."

I gave her a timid smile, though it wasn't because I did go out last night. It was who I went out with.

"Okay, you've got to tell me everything," Bonnie said, crossing her arms, "Where'd you go, what'd you do, what did you say to each other..."

"I didn't go out with Jack last night, Bonnie..." I sighed, "Don't wig out when I tell you this, okay?"

Bonnie set down the swimsuit she was holding, her full attention now on me. I tentatively held a palm to my cheek as I tried to look for the best way to tell her this.

"Remember how I told you that Rider had asked me out?" I asked, and Bonnie's bright smile began to wane, "Well, he came to my house at about eleven last night, wanting to take me to this bash."

"Oh my g- You didn't," Bonnie said, her jaw going slack for a moment.

"Technically, I had already accidentally agreed in class. I kind of had to go. You know, for honor purposes."

"Please, tell me you didn't get arrested."

"No, Bonnie. Nobody got arrested. It was really cool, and I actually had fun."

I figured she didn't need to know about the whole "police chase" incident. Generally, that was something nobody really needed to know about.

"So where did you guys go?" She asked, going back to looking through the swimsuits.

I told her about the drive out to the barn and the rock n' roll that was being played inside.

"Did you dance with someone?" She asked.

"Yes, with a bunch of different people."

At her appalled expression I explained further.

"It wasn't that kind of dance. Nobody had to be a couple to dance with each other. We all just danced to dance."

"Wow, I've never heard of that," Bonnie said quietly, "So are you and Rider, like, jacketed now?" She asked.

I laughed as I played with the pink ruffles on a two-piece.

"No, Bonnie. I didn't even dance with him. We're just friends, that's all," I said.

"Famous last words," Bonnie mumbled as she held up a polka-dotted bikini, "I think you should wear this."

"There is no way I'm wearing that!" I laughed at the red two-piece.

"Ellie, if Marilyn Monroe can do it, so can you."

~

At around five o'clock that evening, Dusty's car pulled up to my driveway. When I returned home from shopping with Bonnie, my mom had found one of her old swim-suit coverups for me to wear out the pool. Though it was a bit faded from use, it was still very nice for being nearly twenty years old.

I gave my mother a hug goodbye before I got in the car and headed out to the address Jack had written down.

The pool at Hillcrest Park was one of the biggest I had ever seen. As Dusty, Bonnie, and I pulled into the parking lot, I could see the early-evening sun glittering on the water as the pool stretched the length of a football field. Walking inside, we were met with the sight of nearly two hundred seniors from West Manchester crowding the water and poolside. From the crowd walked Jack along with some of his teammates.