I put my phone into my pocket as well as my new ID that I'd need to show in order to get into the party and made sure my fancy mask was secure, the most crucial part of this whole facade; the wrong person notices me and I'm fucked.
__________

"Name?" the man at the entrance demanded as he smacked his lips on a piece of gum he was chewing in the fashion that bouncers stereotypically do.

'Dylan... Chambers," I clarified showing him my fresh identity. For tonight I'd have to wipe clean any traces of Grayson Dolan just so I can get close enough to my dream girl.

I watched him cross off Dylan's name before he smiled briefly: "In you go," he ushered me, opening the heavy, metal door so that I could slink in.

Leanna had picked a very swanky venue, it was classy and sophisticated whilst managing to maintain a fresh and contemporary vibe to the place. Servers were standing by the entrance to slip champagne flutes into our hands as we emerged from the outside and strolled into the growing gathering of people. There was a nice buzz of conversation in the room that accompanied the nice jazz number being played by the hired band.

I could already see her.

She simply stood out from the rest. She had such an innocent glow radiating from her inner being that she lit up any room she walked into with her stunning smile and elegant walk. It wasn't an artificial walk either unlike Leanna's, how they'd come to be friends was a mystery I'd yet to solve.

Funnily enough, now that I stood in the room I realised I had no plan of action for how to go up to her and spark up a conversation. Because although Larsa Prince was a sweet and kind individual, she also came off as very intimidating due to the few words she spoke. The company she kept was also off-putting. She had this tendency to squint at people as they introduced themselves which made you feel on edge around her; as though she were constantly scrutinising.

Nonetheless, I was attracted to her. The enigmatic way she conducted herself made her all the more alluring and intoxicating.

I took myself off to a corner to formulate some sort of agenda, I needed a course of action and also a story to use if I end up being discovered.

As I was in a trance, deeply thinking about how to approach this captivating girl that has had my attention ever since I'd started college, a group of people huddled around my table. Once I'd snapped out of my daydream, some lotion scented hands decorated with long, plum-coloured acrylics waving in my face startled me.

"Great! He's back on earth," the condescending girl exclaimed once we'd made eye contact. "And you are?" she questioned.

It was Leanna.

And her posse, more importantly. Larsa stood beside her awkwardly as I noticed her rolling her eyes at her best friends' patronising tone. Now that she was closer to me I could take in her beauty and her attire further. She wore this beige, long, sheer dress with gorgeous red roses in varying sizes sprinkled here and there adding a pop of colour. Her hair was tied up and in braids and she had on these elegant gold earrings, swinging as she moved even the slightest bit.

As usual she looked stunning. So much so that she'd distracted me from the question I was supposed to have an answer to.

"Hey! Is that... Is that you, Leanna?" I asked, pretending I didn't know it was her behind her black and silver mask. It would give me some more time to think of an alias.

She pulled down her disguise letting it hang around her neck and gave a very put-on smile as it appeared her patience was wearing thin. "Yes it's me," she waved her hands sarcastically, "and who are you?" she reiterated.

"Tobias." I lied, remembering a guy she used to talk to once in a while in Art that all four of us did. He was like a puppy that kept getting neglected and abused but would repeatedly go back for the scraps of attention that he'd occasionally get. I'd just have to hope she invited him, or at least couldn't remember.

"Tobey from Art?" she scoffed. Fortunately her face lightened up and she smiled, "Jesus Tobey. If I knew you scrubbed up this well I'd have invited you with less hesitation."

I smiled back, laughing a little to calm myself down. "What can I say?" I charmed, reclining back into the comfortable seat.

"Well move up so we can sit with you. This is a big booth you can't hog it all by yourself," she joked letting Larsa slip in first. Everything was really going my way tonight.

"Hi," I grinned uncontrollably as the smell of her Chanel perfume became stronger as she sat next to me. Her eyes flickered up to mine as her fingers toyed with her braids, something she'd do subconsciously.

"Hey," she replied, giving me a small yet cute smile back. Her sexy, full lips and mesmerising brown eyes were the only part of her face visible to me as her intricately detailed gold mask covered her beauty. "I'm Larsa," she added.

"I know," I winked which made her chuckle.

"Right. Gosh Tobias I don't remember you being so..." she trailed off, "Attractive. No offence," she chuckled as I pretended to be hurt by her comment. Her slender eyes really lit up when she was laughing and I couldn't get enough of her as I congratulated myself for finally managing to start and hold some sort of conversation with her. Despite me being under a false identity.

After a further five minutes or so of talking she placed her hand lightly on my thigh, just above my knee as she leant in and whispered, "I know you're not Tobey but I won't say anything."

My face dropped at her comment as I couldn't understand how she'd found me out so quickly. I felt a bit disheartened as she probably wasn't interested but was only talking to me for the amusement of knowing I'd been lying through my teeth.

"Do you know who I am?" I quizzed.

She looked me up and down, a look of smugness plastered on her face was apparent to me even beneath the mask.

"Yes Grayson, I do."

ENIGMA
Copyright © All Rights Reserved