I glanced up at the ceiling even though I knew that there were dozens of sensors all around us. I addressed my words towards the ceiling. "Do you feel like explaining this one, or shall I?"

Tyndel's voice came over the speakers. "I shall let you explain. They will be able to relate to you better."

The wide eyes and pale faces spoke volumes, but Logan now seemed to have mysteriously joined the group of believers, despite his earlier protests. He seemed at a loss. "What is going on? Why did the spaceship kidnap us?"

And that was my cue... "Long story short, the event two weeks ago was something Tyndel did during a miscalculation. He now knows that humans aren't all the same, but he is quite fussy about who he will allow on board. He is fine with all of us, which is why we are here. He was not okay with the others."

I paused in case there were any questions, but I was greeted by silence as they waited for me to continue. The doubtful expressions were not that promising...

"He plans to continue trading; as well as helping with any space rescues, removing pirates, and some other odds and ends. We are heading to a new destination and should get there in about four days. Other than that, I don't know much more than you do."

One woman I didn't recognize spoke up. "So, we are free to stay here and work until then, or we can bail and hope that someone is close enough to pick us up?"

"Yes, the choice is theirs. The access doors will now open if they are properly suited up. I will re-seal the door after them and re-pressurize the room."

I nodded. "Yes."

I was still a bit miffed about being made Captain when he didn't even try to convince them to remain.

"You could have left the room, but you didn't. Neither did you say 'No' directly before accepting the new communication device."

I elected to ignore those details since they hadn't occurred to me during that discussion. Tyndel would have certainly noticed that I had failed to mention my new status, although the crew was probably assuming that he was in charge, which, in the end, he was.

Logan glanced around at the remaining crew as he checked to see if anyone looked less confused than him. He said, "So, it is basically business as usual until we get to our destination?"

"That is what I got out of the conversation. Just focus on the important stuff since we are only four days away from our new destination. Tyndel said that he will help out where he can, with what he can, as well."

The cook glanced at the others, barely bothered by the turn of events now that our lives weren't, supposedly, in immediate danger. He declared, "I am the only cook here, so I will move to the Overseer's dining area, and everyone can go there to eat."

He wandered out to investigate his new domain, apparently with no other concerns or worries. Others also started to scatter, some debating the potential risks of staying versus the hazards of bailing. Logan and Cynthia remained with me, looking confused and somewhat lost.

Logan spoke quietly. "I hope the ship isn't too upset that I tried to uninstall that upgrade."

I shrugged. "He didn't mention anything, but I wouldn't try to touch the AI's software or files."

"Duly noted," he said. "I think I will head to my room for a bit and let my brother know that I still live. He was on that planet and expecting me to visit this evening."

He left, looking like he was deep in thought. Cynthia still looked shaken. She asked me, "Mind if I come to your room for a while? This is a bit much to take in."

"Sure." We started walking together down the quiet corridors. She probably didn't want to be alone at this point. I suspected that she just needed some time to adjust and was in need of a bit of reassurance as well.

Sure enough, it wasn't long before she spoke very quietly. "Do you think that the ship will keep its word?"

Tyndel's yes echoed in my head. I answered as truthfully as I could. "I think so, and I really hope so. Although the only proof I have so far is the fact that we are still alive."

She quietly mulled that over before looking longingly at the door leading to the showers. I hesitated for a moment, and then said, "Go have a good long soak. There are only 28 of us on board, so there is plenty of water to last for four days."

Normally showers were timed and actual baths were only allowed twice a month. A long hot bath would make her very tired, and then she would sleep. Sleep would help her recover from this shock to her system.

I somehow doubted that sleep would work quite as well for me this time...

"Thanks!" Her instant excitement brought a grin to my face as she raced down the corridor to grab her shower bag and clean clothes.

I went into my own room and lay back on my bed as I tried to relax a few tense muscles. This morning I had been an assistant with the trivial task of moving crates between various cargo bays. This evening I was the Captain of a Starship. And that change just wasn't sinking in...