Chapter 13: Catch & Release

"Cassie!" I could hear distant police car sirens coming closer, we had to hurry.

****************

Cassie's POV:

No one talked as we drove, silence filling the air like a poisonous gas. Stifling. Deadly. Choking.

Tears streamed down my cheeks constantly, my thoughts filled with the image of my mum screaming my name and being shoved roughly into the car by Natalie & Nate.

Doris was in the passenger seat of the van, with Nate driving, Jade sitting next to me in the middle, and Natalie firmly holding onto my mother in the large back.

I dug my nails into the palms of my hands.

I couldn't stifle my sobs anymore. They poured out as swiftly as my tears.

"I'm so sorry Mum." I said, turning around at and awkward angle to face my mother. My body was racked with sobs.

My mum's mouth was gagged, and her soft green eyes blindfolded.

Natalie sighed and ripped off Mum's gag.

She took a deep gulp of fresh air, before leaning forward as best as she could still blindfolded and kissing my cheek. Tears left their salty trails down her cheeks as well as mine.

"It's okay honey. I've missed you so much." She whispered, her voice breaking on the last words.

I took a shuddering breath. Jade awkwardly patted my shoulder.

Sirens wailed louder, closer than before.

The police.

****************

Andrew Hayes's POV:

"Hayes, Hayes, do you copy sir? Chief Hayes, do you copy?"

The voice came crackling through Andrew's radio about midday. He recognised the deep rumbling voice of one of the plumper policemen, Officer Bob Smith.

He put down his hot coffee and picked up his hand held radio.

"Yes Officer Smith, I copy. Report your situation?"

"Well sir, first I saw an elderly woman get toppled over by another woman on the corner of Joan Ave, and then I heard a car alarm just down the street, then I heard a commotion, and then just now I seen a grey van racing pass over the speed limit."

Andrew sighed. Officer was kind, but not the most quick-thinking of the men. "How did you respond, officer?"

"Well sir, I helped this silly old lady up, she just walked away in the same way as the other woman like nothing had happened, then I just ate my donuts and just now I called you sir."

Andrew rubbed his face. "Okay, well, it seems like this van might be stolen from down the street, so please go after it and I'll send some cars your way."

"Roger that, Chief." Officer Smith rumbled.

Andrew took a sip of his coffee, and gagged. It was almost ice cold. God dangit.

**************

Nate's POV:

Tortured. That was the only word that described what I was feeling right now.

Part of me wanted to be able to just keep driving - the sobs bouncing off, not affecting me, my body and mind in armor- and the other part wanted to howl because Cassie's cries were tearing me apart, piece by piece.