PART ONE

CHAPTER ONE

"Go, go,go!" I screamed. My younger sister was sobbing, running as fast as her little legs would take her.

The black SUV sped behind us, gaining quickly. I redirected Mac towards the woods that I know so well.

We charged through the trees, jumping over roots and ducking under low branches.

"The woods lead to a neighborhood. My friends live there." I told Mac. "Oh, no! They're out of town!"

We continued to run. Then, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Diana?" Mac whimpered. "Why are they chasing us? Did we do something wrong?"

"No." I replied. "We uncovered a secret that the keepers wanted to stay secret."

I slowed my run to a stop. I sat down on a tree stump and sighed.

Why did our lives have to be so hard? I thought. Life was so much easier before Mom and Dad were killed.

I looked over to Mac. She had tears streaming down her face.

"Lets go." I stood up and started walking. Mac stood up and ran to catch up to me. We are almost out of the woods when I heard a stick snap.

"Stop moving!" I hissed. I looked down. There were no broken sticks.

"Run!" I whispered. We broke throughout the edge of the forest. I looked back. I saw three or four angry faces. I ran as fast as I could. I ran to the closest house and pounded on the door. A man answered the door.

"Please help us! There are men chasing us. Please call the police!" I gasped for breath.

"Yes, yes, come in." the man replied. He led us to the living room. When our backs were turned he gagged me. Then he gagged Mac. We were both screaming and kicking and hitting.

END OF CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER TWO

The man dragged us down steep stairs to the basement. He tied us to a support pole and said "if you somehow manage to break this, you'll be in trouble." and walked back up stairs. I moved my jaw around and motioned to Mac to do the same. About five minutes later, the gag fell around my neck. Mac's did the same.

"Who is that man?" Mac cried. "He's mean. I don't like him."

"I don't know." I replied, worried.

I moved my wrists around, trying to come free. We need to get out of here.

I looked over at Mac. She was staring at me. When she saw me looking, she turned her head away.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The man who gagged us was bounding down the stairs.

Oh no! I thought. What if he notices the gags are down?

The man walked right past us, glanced at the terrified sisters, and grabbed a jar of peanut butter off of the stack that was ten feet away. He mouthed the word sorry and hurried back upstairs.

"He didn't notice." I gave a sigh of relief. I wiggled my hands loose. Since my feet were still tied together, I untied my feet and silently hurried over to Mac. I untied her and whispered to her.

"I will go to the top of the stairs and determine if there is anyone there. "

I tiptoed up the stairs and stuck my ear against the door. I heard nothing. Then I pressed the side of my head against the floor and peered out of the crack under the door. I look around. There was no feet walking around. I snuck down the stairs and waved Mac over. I told her to follow me and be silent.