The Baker Part 2

August 31st, 1888. 6:25 am.

Nicholas Bloom's footsteps could be heard from downstairs as he stepped on the creaky wood. When he reached the first floor, the smell of fresh baked goods filled his nostrils.

"Ah, the boy is at it again. Fresh meat."

He walked down a hallway towards the back of the place and entered the kitchen. His son, Icarus, was opening the oven to take out a fresh batch of pies.

"So, the meat turned out good?"

Icarus looked up at his father. "No. It was spoiled before I could even use it. These meat pies were made with meat from Dahlia; she just got a fresh supply. Next time we use one of her girls we gotta give her food and grub," Icarus explained. Nicholas took in the deal and said, "That's quite alright. We don't want to upset the hag."

Dahlia Shepherd ran a brothel called The Night's Secrets. Nicholas and Icarus Bloom were regular customers. The wages they earned from sales mostly went towards prostitution. Times were tough, and they felt like they were just helping those ladies out, while helping themselves.

"Get those put up at the front window. We gotta make sure we sell them all today. I'll make an extra batch for the deal," Nicholas ordered.

***

August 31st, 1888. 9:53 am.

"No. No, no, no! Please, please."

Dahlia Shepherd rolled her eyes. The girl's scratchy words spilled out in between fitful sobs. Two of her girls, Sharon and Cassandra, attended to her as she sat in a chair in the back corner of the room.

"I cannot stand to hear that awful crying anymore," Dahlia exclaimed. "I'm...I'm sorry, Mrs....Shepherd," the girl cryed out. Dahlia looked at her two girls and softly said, "Either get her to stop this fit or take her to a room with a man for NO CHARGE." The girl abruptly stopped sobbing and looked up at Dahlia. Her eyes were bloodshot and her cheeks were wet.

"Thank you....." "It's Sarah." "Thank you, Sarah, for stopping your crying. Now, tell me what happened. Girls," Dahlia looked at Sharon and Cassandra, "please exit the room to give us some privacy." They left as Sarah started to speak.

"I was away for a couple of weeks visiting my cousin and her family. One day, I think it was the 13th, I got an urgent letter stating that my mother had been killed 6 days before. I quickly returned here and found out she'd been stabbed around 40 times."

Dahlia put her hand on Sarah's shoulder. She whispered, "Martha Tabram, I heard about her."

Sarah continued, "They don't know who did it, and I can't pay for the house or food and water. I have nowhere else to go." Sarah bowed her head and closed her eyes in grief.

"Well, at least you didn't go to Rose. She's been killing my business," Dahlia joked. She felt the tension and realized that jokes were inapproriate. She kneeled in front of Sarah and grabbed her hands. "We will take care of you. Sarah, you're part of our family now." Sarah moved forward and hugged Dahlia. "Thank you."